1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Machine shop? In NY, NY? Titanium collar

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mheintz, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    From time to time, I use an egg pin with a universal clamp. The clamp has squeezed the collar of my endpin such that the screw with which one secures the endpin no longer goes in through the hole in the collar. I think that a collar made of a stronger metal would prevent the problem. Does anyone know of any machine shops preferably close by NY, NY that might be able to take my existing collar and duplicate it in titanium? How much should I expect to pay? Any other suggestions?

2. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    expect to pay a decent ammount(30-100 depending on ammount of effort involved)because the piece will be handmade thats going to cost the workers time, titanium is a pretty expensive metal too, probably not the best route for your problem to be fixed

3. Have you considered shaping an end-pin to the same specs/angles that your egg-pin functions at? It would be a fixed position, but if you're happy with the current angle, it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Just keep in mind that most pins are stainless, and must be altered at precise temperature to maintain their temper. If you bend it with propane, you may weaken the steel (at exactly the weakest point - the bend).

If you go this route, consider making two bends in the steel, so that the rubber stopper hits the ground at the correct angle. Also, use a machine shop that has the expertise to work with tempered and stainless steel.

A bent pin will have some "play" in it (feels like a slight springy-ness) unless you opt to reinforce the bends with additional weld.

Doing this at a machine shop cost me about $50, not cheap. But I've had it for years, and with my bent pin, I get all the chicks.

4. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    for the collar maybe carbide would be a suitable metal, brittle but extremely strong

5. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Not a bad idea, but I really like the eggpin. I like being able to adjust the angle and the design feels very stable.

6. Stainless is much easier to work than Titanium, and probably stronger for a small part like that (Titanium parts can be super-strong, but they tend to be a bit bigger for the same strength).