1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Made in USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schridb, Jun 2, 2012.

1. schridb

schridb

Mar 13, 2012
    Ok, so I may get flamed for this post, but here goes...
    I was a guitar player for about 20 years and always bought guitars made in the US. Strats, teles, les pauls, prs. Never found a non US guitar that I liked. But my first bass was a MIM P bass. It has been great. Feels good, sounds good. I did play an American P that felt better but it was also about 1600 bucks more. So today I went to look at Jazz basses. I was set on getting a USA jazz. But I ended up with a Squier modified vintage (I think that's what it is). Made in Indonesia. I played about six basses some US some not. The only reason I played the Squier was because it looked awesome. I admit I'm a snob. When I grew up, you wouldn't be caught dead playing a Squier guitar. But times have changed. It felt great, played great, looked great. And the only knock is that it is a little bright. But you dial the tone knob back about two notched and you're set. I may upgrade the pickups at some point to a set that are a little more balanced. I swear it sounded better than the US five string I played. But for 300 bucks? Wow! They really have stepped their game up.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are new here. Your opinion is quite common, Squiers are great deals.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Squiers are fantastic basses for the price, I wouldn't put them into the same league as an American, but MIA cannot compete at the $300 price point.

4. schridb

schridb

Mar 13, 2012
    I am new here. And fairly new to the bass. I saw it as a more complex art than guitar. And I played in touring bands for years. So I have a refined palate. I am just shocked at the gap that these Asian instruments have closed. They used to be trash. Of course if I had my druthers I'd have bought a Modulus today. But it's a bit early for that.

5. Squiers have come a long way. I played a few older ones and the quality was a little more hit or miss, heavy on the miss.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I am only 25, so I missed out on the old Asian days, but to my understanding Asian instruments were actually far superior back in the day to today (as with most things) Fender Japanese guitars are still in highly regard, Korean Squiers are the golden-era of Squiers (from what I hear) and when you factor in all the other old companies, like Vantage and Tokai, I really don't think Asian instruments have come that far, if anything they're probably worse, I bet you Squier CV/VM's are not still sought after in 20 years but who knows what time holds.

I think you just stopped being a guitar player (haha :D j/k sorry couldn't resist)

7. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    IME the Japanese Squiers were very good, Korean Squiers were less than good (golden-era my foot) and Vantage, Aria, Tokai, Grecco, etc. are totally overrated.

8. The newer VM Jazzes are a great value.

How about a picture or two? If you had titled this a NBD thread, you would have been set on fire by now.

Congratulations on the new bass!

9. ^^^^

Yup, No pic, no great Squier.

10. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Way back when, I played a non-Japanese Sqier I'd borrowed from a friend. All I can say is that it made bassy sounds.

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    There was a 'golden era' for a few brands of Japanese instruments, mostly made in the late '70s and early '80s, but it isn't really worth generalizing.

These days the overall quality of Asian made instruments is very high and the ratio of price to quality is better than ever, IME.

12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Japanese Fender Jazz Bass Specials are really good. Mine's a 1987. I have a Mexican Squier Strat that's not bad, except for the electronics, tuners, and sharp frets ends. Got a Mexican Fender, though, and it was like night and day---way better, IMO.

13. labrador

labrador

Apr 12, 2012
    It's personal preference if YOU like it then it's for you. Fender has went through some wacky times and as much as you legitimate squire lovers out there say your bass is better than an American made one I'll say Nothing beats my American made fender ill even say you wish you had my jazz bass over yours. I have a 2012 fender jazz 5 deluxe black maple neck black block inlays I also own a Modulus q5
    I'm not being mean or being a jerk im also not flaming you. I bet your bass fits you and in the end thats all that matters. My son has your bass and I bought it for him because it sounded great for the price.

Tony

14. Ah yes, the if it's old, it must be good canard. Tokai, Ibanez and Aria II seemed good for the money because american guitars had gone on the scrap heap. Now of course, 35 years later, people are paying collectors prices for 3 bolt micro-tilt strats that in their day were considered so bad that along with the CBS era amps brought the company to bankruptcy. Now both of these products are valuable beyond keeping up with the rate of inflation. Which is it? Were these guitars not so bad really or did the intervening years of passing through pawn shops heal them with mojo?

What is true is that the $300 dollar product of today far exceeds the $300 product of 20 years ago.

The other thing that's true is that it doesn't cost 300 percent more to run a neck blanks though a CNC in America than it does in indonesia. Part of the MIA marketing and it's price point is market position and its haze of cachet. How is it that I can go to a GC and see flawless poly on a $700 Epiphone and walk to the other side of the room, turn over a $3,000 Les Paul and see orange peel?

mugre

15. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    No worries, you can still return it.

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Life is short. Want a Modulus? Get it!!! :D

I agree that the Squiers and other low cost instruments by Yamaha, Ibanez, and others are fantastic deals for the money. I'm at a point that I'm willing to pay $8-900 more to get a 5-10% improvement in overall quality and sound I feel I get with a Carvin made in San Diego, or a Lakland Skyline made partly in Indonesia and put together and Pleked in Chicago. The thing is, I don't really care where it's made, just what quality the final product is. I'd pay big money for a bass made at the North Pole by Santa's elves if I felt it was worth it. ;)

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Not possible, since an MIA P Bass only costs around $1200 to begin with - I'm just sayin'...

- georgestrings

18. schridb

schridb

Mar 13, 2012
    It was a deluxe.

19. schridb

schridb

Mar 13, 2012
    Sorry, that was rude.

Here it is.

Attached Files: