Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Magnetic pickup from King Doublebass?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by FlatNate, Feb 27, 2006.

1. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with the magnetic pickup that came with/from King Doublebass. I ran some searches of previous posts and came up dry. The web site advertises a pricey magnetic pickup, as well as a Piezo pickup and preamp. The website has a pdf that states it uses four magnetic pickups designed and built in conjunction with EMG, that it includes a fingerboard transducer, and volume and tone for the magnetic pickups and transducer. Now, I have used the Stringcharger with good results and we like playing loud so sounding like an electric isn't a big deal for me. Still, I'm in interested in another magnetic pickup but 630 bucks is staggering expensive at this point. Anyone get to try this thing for real? I'll say it looks rather cool.

2. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

A friend of mine talked about getting one but didn't, not because of the price but because of what it would do to the fingerboard. It looks like you have to drill four dime sized holes in there.

3. Yeah I can't figure that out yet. Do the magnets for the magnetic part of the pickup actually drill into the fingerboard? That seems strange to me. Where does the piezo portion of the pickup attatch? I think I may email King for more literature on it. If I could read some reviews or see it in action I may actually consider buying the thing in a few months.

4. shoeline

shoeline

Jan 13, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Hello. I haven't tried the pickup you mentioned but I do have a great magnetic pickup that is good for louder venues. It is made by a guy named Clark Biesele. When I got mine he was making them 'on order'. I have the smaller one and the preamp/blender that goes with it. It sounds good combined with a piezo pickup. Anyway, his website is www.biesele.org

5. Thanke shoeline, I've been interested in the Biesele for some time as well now. It looks like it may be a little more robust than the StringCharger. Have you had experience with both?

6. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    FN,
    I used a stringcharger for several years on a 1/2 sized bass and it worked great...except it doesn't have a very "natural" sound. At louder sound levels this is not a problem, but at "cocktail hour" levels it is noticeable. the unit is very robust and is easy to remove if you chose. I never took it off the bass it was on for 4-5 years. I used it mostly for playing arty rock music and it was always plenty loud with no feedback.

-JK

7. timsway

timsway

Oct 1, 2002
    wallingford ct
    zadow electronics in germany makes a niice magnetic pickup that blends well with piezos, passively, with a box that comes with the pickup. mine has save my life and made it possible for me to gig upright LOUD. michael zadow is a great guy and when a solder point on mine broke a year-plus later, he repaired it for free (tho i had to ship it to germany and back, which cost a few bucks!)

www.zadow-electronics.de

8. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

I wonder if he sells it with out the mixer box?

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The Zadow really looks nice.

10. timsway

timsway

Oct 1, 2002
    wallingford ct
    it is nice. beats the crazy thing i built out of p-bass pickups!

the mixer is passive, unobtrusive and probably the cheapest part of the rig. he puts a 1/8" jack on the magnet, but with an adapter there's no reason you couldn't use it by itself or with a diff. blender box... i've found with my k&k piezo it's real round and fat, but with my vintage realist (which sounds real thin and tinny by itself) it sounds very "true" -- or as true as the ub can be at rock band levels!

if you buy one, tell him tim sway sent ya ;-)

11. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Timsway,
    I also built a doublebass pickup out of a p-bass pickup. It worked pretty well, but then again the bass mostly sounded like a p-bass. Not to hijack the thread too much, but I'm very happy with a Realist on my current bass. It much more accurately reproduces of the sound of my bass. It's pretty loud, but I don't think it can compete with rock band volumes.

-JK

12. Whatever happened to those cool chrome Schaller pups?

[​IMG]

I used a Pierre Josephs String Charger for years and dug it, but it did sound like a fretless p-bass. You can here it on the track "Been Right There" on my MySpace page

Tony

13. Here It Is!

Pickup for Double Basses

High-gloss chrome-plated double-bass pickup, with adjustableindividual maggnnets and volume control, for mounting on the chord bridge.

Model Ref.No.
    10/70 411

[​IMG]

Here can find a list of US dealers here.

14. shoeline

shoeline

Jan 13, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Actually, I haven't tried the StringCharger but I found some audio samples of the Biesele pickup. It is my old teacher Skip playing. He is probably using it combined with a piezo pickup. I recommend the track ''clichés''.
    http://www.jazznsamba.com/recordings.html

15. Thanks for all the input. The Schaller looks really nice and I wasn't really aware that they even had anything on the market. The Stringcharger is a good value and I enjoyed playing it, but I like the ability to adjust the volume for each string. So, I think it may be down to the Schaeler and the Biesele. Still haven't found anyone who has played that King rig.

16. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I have two of the Kingdoublebass/EMG pick ups one in each of my King basses (though I just took one out because I strung it with guts) Basically the pick up is similar to the EMG pick ups in the NS electric upright. It consist of four pole pieces that mount into the end of the fingerboard, so yes you have to drill out the fingerboard. being set up like this makes each strings pick up hieght adjustable. The piezo element mounts behind the fingerboard to pick up the "slap" . This pick up was designed for rockabilly slap playing. The two control pots that mount in the bridge along with the battery control the piezos vol. and tone the mag part is pre set. It is hard to make this pick up feed back. I use a Bergie 6x10 and it has rarely fed back. Yes this pickup is exspensive( it was only like a $280 up grade when I ordered my Kings now its $680!) but it works very well for what it was designed for I also do alot of pizz and works very well for that haven't tried arco because I don't have a bow or know how to. If your in a loud band and need to cut through and be heard this is a great pickup

17. Thanks for the input on that King pickup Demon. You answered pretty much everything I was wondering. Now, this does sound like a great rig and I would love to try it out to possibly purchase. However at 680 bucks it may have to wait till I upgrade to a better upright or to a King myself. Thanks again.