1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Magnetic pup - LACE ALUMA P

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by GeoffBass, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GeoffBass

GeoffBass

Apr 25, 2012
    ... thought I’d see what the members think of my new magnetic p/up.
    ... checked my parts draw where I have a collection of discarded P-bass p/ups … but I decided to buy the new LASE ALUMA-P because they are light, cool looking, and they can accommodate 4, 5, and 6 string electrics (so I figure why not DB).
    I mounted the ALUMA-Ps on a piece of PVC cut from a section of gutter moulding which followed the curvature of my strings. The best sound to my ear, is with the treble side furthest from the bridge, which of course is the opposite to the P-Bass configuration.
    The p/up assembly is mounted using flexible tubing fitted into corks bunged into bridge (I always wondered why those 2 holes were there) and this pretty much gives unlimited positioning possibilities. The p/up also can be removed from the bass in seconds leaving no trace.
    I haven’t earthed the strings yet, but initial testing at home shows no great problems with interference / buzz.
    The sound is surprisingly good (IMO) and the variation in tone as the p/up is moved laterally along the string is also surprising. The flexible tubing (ratted from a laptop USB LED light) holds position really well, and allows for fine balancing of the strings to be achieved.
    All in all … I’m happy with it … and am looking forward to trying it with my regular big band gig.
    I also plan to mix it with my Fishman FC and DPA 4099.
    If there is any interest I’ll try to post a few honest sound clips.
    regards
    GeoffBass, Canberra Australia

Attached Files:

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    That looks great. First P I've seen on a DB, nice work. Would some environments need the strings grounded more than others, like gigging?

3. GeoffBass

GeoffBass

Apr 25, 2012
    yes ... I'm wondering what others have done to ground the strings ... I'm thinking of brass washers behind the string ball ends soldered to the signal earth (better than a braided wire threaded through the tails I suppose).

... here's a better pic

Attached Files:

4. Since the design is current driven. I don't know if you need to ground bridge?

5. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    That is very, very uptown!

Cool handiwork and very classy looking.

6. GeoffBass

GeoffBass

Apr 25, 2012
    mjmeche, good point ... I see that in the LACE blurb that the pup is current (as opposed to voltage) drive ... but not sure how that translates to producing (or negating) ground hums ... there is a bit of buzz as I turn the gain up ... it goes away when I touch the pickup though.
    I haven't don't anything special with shielding as yet ... could use some of that stick on copper behind the assembly and over the twisted wires that I have coiled up there I guess ... thanks for your idea!

7. GeoffBass

GeoffBass

Apr 25, 2012
    L0-E ... yeah looks like it came out of Batman's utility belt eh.

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Holy mag p'ups, Batman!!