1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Maiden!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FallenDestiny, Aug 26, 2012.

1. FallenDestiny

FallenDestiny

Mar 21, 2012
    I'm looking for some easy Iron Maiden songs on bass, to get me started with some Steve Harris stuff. Most of them are pretty hard, so I'm finding it tough to find some less complex stuff..

And apart from The Trooper and Run to the Hills, please :p

Man, Steve Harris is awesome beyond words...

2. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Wasting love?

3. Easy + Steve Harris basslines ?? Rare.. Try "Running Free"

4. FallenDestiny

FallenDestiny

Mar 21, 2012
    Exactly...
    That's why I made this thread. It's so hard to find such basslines.
    And thank you, Running Free seems playable.
    Still open to suggestions!

5. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Rainmaker is not too bad.
    It's so funny, everyone I know is talking about Harris lately. I practice his famous -.. -.. -.. -.. -.. -.. (really, think William Tell overture!) slow and work it up.

What makes him so amazing IMHO, is his ability to do it at tempos in the 160-200bpm range FOR HOURS.

P.S. While The Trooper is well known, it is also a perfect example of what to concentrate on in your technique to play most of his other stuff.

Very right hand intensive, with the William Tell -.. -.. -.. -.. being prominent.

6. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp

Jul 15, 2012
    Laurel,DE.
    Children of the damned is slow enough you can hear the notes. Very nice bass line

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

"The Trooper" is pretty playable.

8. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Killers isn't too bad (relatively). Wasted Years isn't physically taxing, but there are a lot of specific runs going on. Fun one to learn/play.

9. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    TBH, running free is no easier than the trooper. That riff at the start isn't as hard as maintaining the pace of the rest of the song. The same can be said of running free, there's a fast run in that too. If you can play at that gallop you've got it. So in that regard what's easy? Remember Tomorrow? Still Life? Stranger in a Strange Land?

10. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    apart from that really really fast bit near the end.

11. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I have a feeling he doesn't play those songs in the same way these days. It's hard to tell especially as they are faster live!

12. Edgar664

Edgar664

Mar 12, 2009
    Mexico
    Hallowed be thy name and Power Slave :bassist:

13. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    "The Trooper", "Aces High", and "2 Minutes To Midnight" are easy ones to start off on. "Aces High" being a particular favorite.

14. Powerslave. I worked out the interlude and bass solo parts by ear.
    Massive satisfaction.

15. Technicality

Technicality

Feb 10, 2011
    "Revelations" is fairly chilled out.

16. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Remember Tomorrow / Sanctuary. Powerslave isn't all that tough - just a bit long.

Every song is gonna have it's stuff, though.

Cowboy up and learn Phantom of the Opera. A very satisfying play through. :bassist:

Good luck.

17. The Wicker Man is super easy.

Flight of Icarus is the slowest/easiest example of the gallop groove I can think of off the top of my head.

18. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i learned Wasted Years for my band ...we didn't end up doing it but i don't think it was overly difficult.

19. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    Wrathchild

20. spcjdoty

spcjdoty

Dec 31, 2009
    Lansing, Kansas
    Try Paschendale, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, or The reincarnation of Benjamin breeg they are not too bad. The one thing that killed me at first was the fast gallop. I had to add that to my practice routine before I could even start a maiden song.