1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mainstream radio (same stuff since 1985)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by casper_morgan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Anyone else notice the lack of commercial interest that your local bands get? I mean stations out here in texas would rather play the same GNR/acdc/zztop song over and over rather than play something new.. fresh....

Personally I know quite a few local bands with A TON of talent.. catchy songs... stuff that I KNOW could go national if they could just be heard by the right people.

I just don't get the industry i guess...

anyone else feel my rage?

2. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I absolutely feel your rage. Well, maybe not rage necessarily. Over-the-air music radio has been terrible for decades now. I love all kinds of music and will listen to most anything and enjoy it. Radio, since Clear Channel began buying up stations all over the country, has been homogenized to the point being unlistenable. How many frickin' times do I have to hear Hotel California? Actually the "classic" country stations are among the worst. I Fall to Pieces and He Stopped Loving Her Today are played incessantly. Mixed in are "classics" from 1985 or so--the stuff that turned me off to country radio in the first place.

I am definitely not a right-winger, so Rush L. and his ilk have no appeal whatsoever to me. Sports radio is ok but I'm not a huge sports guy either.

When in the car, I listen to our local Mariachi/Ranchero station--850AM La Ranchera. Since I got Shazam on my I-Phone, and I can find out who all the artists are now, I have been turned on to a lot of great stuff: Pepe Aguilar, Vicente Fernandez, cd's I probably would otherwise never dreamed of buying.

It is a shame that new bands do not have the benefit of airplay. Our band is lucky to get quite a bit of play on XM/Sirius and it really makes a huge difference. People actually show up to our gigs strictly because they heard us on XM.

3. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    It may seem like I missed your point but I get it. Not just the artists, but the listeners and the entire recording industry would benefit from airplay of new music. The days of disc jockeys playing their favorite new records are long gone. Deejays have absolutely zero control over playlists and haven’t for some time. Corporations run radio and the recording industry and don’t give a flip about anything other than the bottom line.

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There was one in Austin that I heard (this was a few years ago, though) that only played music made by Texas bands/residents/artists. They had some new stuff, and things I hadn't heard before, peppered in with classics. Can't for the life of me remember anything else about it but that lol.

Haven't listened to Rice Radio for years here in Houston, wonder if they're around or doing anything worthwhile anymore.

5. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Funny you should mention Rice radio. KTRU sprang to mind when I thought of stations that still played new music. College radio is always hipper. Sadly, KTRU is no more. At least they aren't on 91.7 anymore. That frequency now broadcasts classical music (the same ol' tired stuff--the equivalent of Hotel California) It's part of KUHF, the UofH station.

6. slobake

slobake resident ... something

7. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
  8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I am very fortunate to live in an area with three college stations and two different NPR stations. We had a good classic rock station for years with DJs who did some of their own programming, so you would at least hear some Master Of Puppets mixed in with the GNR and Alice In Chains. Then one day I tuned in and they were playing Phil Collins and it turned out they were sold to a conglomerate that pumps out Hotel California all day.