1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

maintenance plan

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by thombo, Aug 19, 2012.

1. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I am going to start back up the upright again (couldn't afford the cost to repair the dovetail). There is a local luthier, Eric Trujillo, who offers a rent to own option on Calin Wultur laminates. Along with the rental plan, he offers a maintenance plan for an additional $8 a month.

I'm soliciting opinions on the maintenance plan- is $96 a year it worth it for a new new laminate bass?

My opinion is that a new bass that is properly set up shouldn't need much (if any) maintenance for a few years. That said, it was my inability to pay for my Kay's maintenance that forced me into falling out of practice.

2. mirwa

mirwa

Aug 4, 2012
    Australia - Perth
    First Ive ever heard of a repairer offering a maintenance plan, I dont know if I like it or not.

Whats covered under maintenance, at 96 a year I would not imagine much.

3. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    That sounds like the "deal" we were offered at my son's junior high school. They will fix anything that goes wrong that is neither a manufacturer's defect nor abuse nor normal wear-and-tear. Or something like that. It had a bad smell, so I picked up a recently freshened used instrument from a friend's shop (clarinet, here) and strangely nothing has needed attention in the two years we've had it.

This sounds like the standard school rental scheme which seems like it could be a sucker bet. I could be wrong though.

4. mirwa

mirwa

Aug 4, 2012
    Australia - Perth
    May I recommend, as I repair clarinets as well, every 2 years get it serviced by a reputable repairer, when I say reputable I mean someone that is going to take all the keys off and clean the pads and then re-assemble, some repairers believe that a bit of oil on the keys will do the job, please steer clear of them.

Why,

Pads are made from bladder skin, the moisture saliva from our breath is corrosive after about two years it starts to eat the skin of the pad, most pads have two layers of skin, a good service will fix and clean and restore, otherwise if you leave it for 3-4 years you will be more than likely be up for a repad, which involves the removal of every pad and new ones fitted to every key, this can be costly.

Regards

Steve

5. take the plan for a year or two....trust me, when you drop it, they fix,when you fall on it ,they fix,when it explodes,they fix.