Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Major Bitterness here.... (rant)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ok, so i got a DUI last year and didn't drive because i didn't want to get a suspended license (short version of a long story). My P.O.S. car has been in my driveway, street in front of my house, etc.. so back in December right before christmas one of my neighbors didn't like the car sitting there and called and had it towed. San Diego law says a car must be moved every 72 hours if on a public street. SDPD had no reports of any officers tagging it for possible tow, only complaints from one neighbor. So, they tow it. FROM IN FRONT OF MY OWN HOUSE. here's where it gets good..

1. tow lot charges me $100 more than what they had told me that morning what it would cost.

2. car is not even on that tow lot.

3. car was gonna run me $600 to get it ready for smogging by 1/01/05 so i was gonna donate it rather than pay for it to be fixed. but, since it was not on the lot, i now owe another tow company.

4. Tow lot said they would "take care of it" and that was that.

5. I'm getting Lien Notices every 2 days now and they say i owe them like $1800 more.

6. I've already RECEIVED the $2000 tax write off from the company i donated it to. THEY HAVE THE CAR. IT'S NOT AT THE TOW LOT.

7. I'm about to be sent to collections by the tow lot.

8. I'm PISSED.

rant over. :mad:

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sue your neighbour.

3. i would, except for the fact the police won't give me any information regarding who it might be. we even wrote a letter to all my neighbors after this happened saying if they had problems please contact us regarding anything.

here's what makes me mad

There is more than enough parking near in this area.
    The car was literally in front of MY HOUSE.
    There are other cars on the block that have been sitting for months that haven't been moved.
    My girl has been in this house for 5 years with no problems whatsoever.

4. I remember all the **** that happened when you posted about this earlier. This is absolutely terrible. So you donated the car to charity, but the tow company still thinks its in their lot and is charging you for it... This is ridiculous... I hope this gets resolved.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Write the Tow Company a letter explaing that the car was never on their lot and that you are not paying them a cent (or whatever you rightfully owe them). Off to make payment for whatever you owe them in that letter.

That way, if you get dragged off to court you have made the offer to settle for the correct amount and they are likely to wear the costs.

Personally I would see a local solicitor to draft the letter for you and advise you. If you cannot afford one, there are a couple of guys on here who are solicitors in the US I think who may be able to help you.

6. cool thanks.. maybe i wasn't clear, it was on ONE of their tow lots, not the particular lot i had to go to in order to pay the fines..

7. talk to a lawyer. you can get free advice from lawyers online w/out much dificulty. I've done this before, I think it was at http://www.legaladvice.com. Could be wrong.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't drink and drive. I hang out in San Diego when I'm not at Groom, and I don't like you endangering me and my family.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sue ALL your neighbours :D

10. munji, no worries man.. i haven't even gotten close to doing anything like that since it happened. I don't drive at all anymore. i'm not endangering lives and i haven't bothered getting my license back either since i have no vehicle.

11. Umm, don't you have a constitutionally protected right to face your accuser? If they tow your car, you are in essence getting a fine, which you can argue in court, which means you get to face your accuser.

I think.

You should also be talking to who ever owns that towing compnay. Not the manager of the lot or whatever, but the OWNER, and you have ever right to be steamed like a Maine Lobster.

Lawsuits can not only be lengthy and costly, but can wear you down. I'm in the middle of one right now, stupid insurance companies.

Best of luck to you, though. And take medic8ed's advice, go online. You can get a lot of info from that site.

Rock on
    Eric