Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

make this trade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 29, 2004.

Keep Thumb or Trade?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2004.
  1. Keep the Warwick Thumb 5

60 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Trade it for Marcus Miller Jazz (plus accessories)

36 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I just picked up my Warwick Thumb last week, and so far I'm liking it, but I just can't see it being with me permanently. I'm just feeling like it doesn't fit my style of music and I may not enjoy it, so I put an ad out for trade and was offered a Sunburst Marcus Miller Jazz Bass 4 string. Now for the longest time I wanted one of these. I always thought it'd be a great bass to have. Some of my friends are telling me I need to keep the Warwick and give it more of a chance. I'm torn on what to do about it. I've been given a fair offer for it, to cover the difference, so I'm not torn on losing anything. So what should I do? Keep it, or trade it?

2. The Thumb will beat the Marcus Miller jazz out of site man!

3. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    thumb up

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm the guy that voted for the MM Jazz. I think it sounds better than the Thumb, and you said it yourself, the Thumb doesn't match you.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Keep the thumb!

(The people have spoken)

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I don't know how y'all did it, or maybe it wasn't you, but I'm going to keep the Thumb. But I've realized with all I let go in the past, I need to stop going through so many basses. I can always get a MM Jazz next month when I get my paycheck.

~Patrick

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    If you don't like it, don't keep it.

Whafrodamus, no matter how wise, cannot tell you what you like.

Personally, I wouldn't keep a Thumb because I don't like the sound. I think it is a poorly designed bass, it's not like the other Warwicks. But the Marcus Miller 5 isn't my fav because I would use it to get that classic passive sound, like for slapping, but I'd get the Marcus Miller 4.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

So, basically, you're saying you wouldn't have bought the Thumb in the first place. ;) I'm sure this helps a great deal to someone who apparently liked it enough to begin with.

See why it's pointless to ask other's opinions what to do gear wise? :D

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    One more vote for the Thumb.

Cheers,
    JL

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A friend of mine bought a Thumb 5 recently and proceeded to spend almost $700 swapping out the electronics and putting all MEC in. Still not happy with it, he asked me what I thought about doing a Bart swap (quadcoils and a 3 band pre). I got a chance to hear it with the MEC swap and I don't think Barts are magic, just very good.

If you want a 70's Jazz bass sound, IMO the Thumb isn't even in the ballpark. If you want a Thumb sound... it's perfect.

11. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Thumbs up! :bassist:

12. Good Idea. The thumb is a unique sounding bass thats alot of fun to play. I always see plenty of used MM jazzes for sale and tons of other jazzes that you could pick up for a song (just saw a guy take 125.00 for a sale to store for a Hwy 1)

You made the right choice+++++ IMO :D

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Although MM Jazzes are plenty, but thet're few and far between in Sunburst.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Anybody else consider the Thumb one of the worst balancing basses ever made?

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    YES!

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    For me, the MM is a better bass hands down, however, the Thumb is "worth" quite a bit more cash. I'd consider selling the thumb then buying a MM and pocketing the difference.

17. Id go with the MM. I had a high end Warwick and wasnt very pleased with it. The neck felt like a 2x4. Wound up trading it for a Ray.

18. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    If you dislike your bass, get another one. No one can tell you what you do and do not like. That is all I am saying.

19. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Two different schools of sound...like everyone else is saying. Just go with 1.) Sounds Right 2.) Feels Right.

Habitutal Bass Trading Always Leads to Losing Money... :meh:

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Either keep thumb or sell it and then buy a new bass with the money. Trading for the Marcus you'd be getting ripped. You can get $1000 pretty easily for the thumb if you wanted to, and a Marcus sells used for as low as $550.