Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making a low B extension

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sigurd, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    I have a Soundgear 5-string fretless. Recently I have been contemplating the possibilities of installing/fabricating an extension similar to that on an upright bass. Except mine would go to low A, possibly even G. When I play, I like the tension and clarity of those notes when I'm tuned to B, but when I tune to A, I get the note A, but lose the tension and some tone. Plus, I end up tuning back and forth between the two quite a bit. My idea involves cutting out the section of the nut that is under the B string and then finding a strip of rosewood and then putting a wedge-shaped shim underneath it and against the headstock to create the extension of that part of the fingerboard. I know I will need to relocate the tuning machine, and I haven't figured that out yet. Is this feasible? Has anyone ever thought about this before?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Here's how Kubicki does it:
    [​IMG]
    But a SDGR has a tilt-back headstock, so your approarch would have to be a bit different.

There's a luthier who does what you're talking about- ramp added to a tiltback headstock. European, I think. Sub, do you know?

3. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    Yes, I have seen that bass, and played it awhile ago too. The ramp on the tilt-back headstock is exactly what I am talking about. Anyone else have ideas?

4. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Found the one I was looking for! The company is Bastek, and they're Japanese.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    Very cool. I had no idea they actually existed. Now, how do I make my own? :D Should I work with my existing neck or start with a new one?

6. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    Back from the dead! I'm still interested in doing this. Does Bastek have a website?

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The site, www.bastec.net, appears to be down. Too bad! It had some cool stuff. Plus entertaining content, if you used babelfish to translate.

This is a "experimental bastecs" page, but I don't think it has any with the b-ramp extension: http://homepage3.nifty.com/bastec/index.htm. Maybe if you contacted the guy who runs it, he could tell you what happened to the Bastec site.

8. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    Hm. Well thanks anyway. I've got a buddy who knows how to make necks, and he said he'd be willing to help me figure something out.