1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

making my passive bass sound active?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rilander, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    any tips on making my passive american p bass sound active without actually making it active? maybe an EQ pedal or something? :bassist:

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Outboard preamp.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

+1

Or this!

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    You can always buy an outboard preamp pedal.

The Aguilar Tone Hammer is basically a stompbox version of their OBP-3 preamp. Likewise with the Sadowsky preamp. The Xotic Trilogic comes to mind as well, but it has a more natural sound.

The Aguilar might be your best bet.

5. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    hit me up with a link to something like that~! :hyper:

6. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    ok cool thx the tone hammer looks pretty reasonable

7. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    THIS ^^^^

8. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    now if i use the Aguilar Tone Hammer will i be plugging in to the active input on my amp instead of the passive?

9. http://bassclubchicago.bizland.com/store/page20.html
    http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=SADOWSKYOUTBOARD
    These are both pricey but reputedly very nice.
    http://www.kksound.com/purepreamp.html
    ^This is quite a bit more affordable, and while not a pedal, works very nicely to add some control & boost to a passive bass. I have one for my DB's piezo but tried it w/a passive fretless & a 73 P-Bass; it really woke both basses up. Look on Bob Gollihur's bass page for a better deal tha $117.

10. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    I read somewhere that the only passive bass is the double bass. All electric basses are active. The only difference is where the first stage is. :)

I recommend you a good eq and new strings. If you use long cables an on-board buffer should help you.

I have a Status Graphite 6 strings (active). I can make my passive Fender jazz as active as the Status with a new set of strings and some EQ. :bassist:

11. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
  12. Submarine or Submarine DE sounds very good with a P-bass or any other bass for that matter.

13. MXR M80 pedal or the Tech21 SansAmp BDDI pedal has a mid scoop switch that boost the lows and highs that give you a real nice active sound.

14. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    That's a good question. If you're not significantly increasing gain with the pedal, continuing to use the passive input will probably work fine. If you do boost, it still might be fine.

I would try passive first, and give a listen. Too much gain can distort your amp's input, but what is too much depends on your bass, amp, effects chain, technique, etc.