1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making P Bass Copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBassist, May 21, 2012.

1. Warmoth

61 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Mighty Mite

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Get A Fender

82 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Unhappy with Fender quality of late. Thinking of making Mighty Mite or Warmoth basses instead. Which way would you go?

EDIT: Would appreciate your explanation of your choice, if interested in giving it :)

2. Coldmilk

Coldmilk

Jun 13, 2011
    San Diego
    If money isn't an issue, I'd go Warmoth or USACG for quality custom builds.

3. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Ah wasn't aware of USACG, thank you for that. Someone here also mentioned Stewart McDonald. Options, options.

EDIT: used Rics in the 80s, Fender P and FrankenSquire in the 90s, Fender P / Blazer P / FrankenSquire up until around 2008 or so. Couldn't handle the heavy weight anymore on the shoulder. Switched to lighter SX P and J copies (cost-effective replacements that kept me working while taking care of a teenager). Have several latest SXs that I've been using for hole-in-the-wall gigs and want a couple of nicer basses (Alder bodies) for the better gigs starting to come my way.

4. Warmoth all the way, you can go to thier "showcase area" and select pre made bodies and necks based on weight...great option
    would suggest a "slim taper" pbass neck
    just got a pbass from them in shoreline gold with a maple board ewighhs in a tad under 8 lbs.....sweet

5. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    If money isn't a concern, go Warmoth. You'll get a fantastic bass built from the best quality parts you can find. Plan on spending between $1200 and $1500 for a nice one with some figured or exotic wood.
    Or
    If money is a concern, go Squier. If you haven't tried one of their new basses in the last couple of years you're in for a treat. For under $350 you can buy a Fender type bass that will hang with just about any Fender MIA out there.
    I've done both the Warmoth and Squier thing in response to a string of lackluster Fenders as of late and have no regrets.

6. musicnote2010

musicnote2010

Mar 20, 2011
    I heard allparts and wd music are producing quality bodies and necks
    You should check them out

7. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Great replies, great info, thank you.

Unfortunately money is a semi-concern for the next few months, unless a few more high dollar gigs come my way. But I'm ready for something different.

I might have to adopt a spending plan of Squiers (CV series?) now and custom builds by the end of the year....:cool:

Probably going to also replace the necks on the SX Ps and make them both fretless (unlined), the original fretted necks didn't age too well thanks to some drunks :)

8. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    I voted Mighty Mite because I knew before looking at the results that no one would choose it. I just can't stand the thought of those poor guys getting blanked.

However, I do like their bodies and have used them 2 times years ago. They weigh a ton. They're swamp ash and they are cut to fender spec. The sea foam green is a spectacular color. Plus and everyone seems to like things heavy. At least that's my casual observation in reading some of the blogs.

Now an upscale fender and a Warmoth are all going to be a cut above a mighty mite in terms of would quality, figuring and construction. But if you can't afford to pay any more that $800. Then let's face it. You're not going to be building a Warmoth (at least with new parts) and you might not even want an $800 fender.

So Mighty Mite, might just be the one for you. It's not a bad thing. It could be good.

9. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    If I were to build one without money and resale being a factor, definitely Warmoth. If resale value may be a concern, I'd buy a Fender and keep all mods reversible.

10. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    None of the above.

Dingwall without a doubt.

11. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Also check out B. Hefner Company. Seems the most vintage-ish, if that's your bent.

12. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    I prefer modding.
    Find the best import fender you can (cough cough, japanese!)
    Make your wish list of hardware and make it yours
    Send it off to get plek'd
    If your patient and have a good eye for deals, the right bass and components will fall into place for you.

13. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Probably the best out there, but not the only at all: a Praha neck is truly reliable. I've put one of those 21 fret hard rock maple necks into original Squier VM 20 big blocks fret weak maple neck placement

(and original Bartolini singles in Duncan Designed placements)

Now: that's what "upgrade" means to me!

Cheers,
    Wallace

14. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    I say Warmoth too as long as you keep it simple/inexpensive, but what's a Praha?

15. If it were me, I'd get a new Squier CV P Bass, but order myself a Mighty Mite or maybe a Warmoth Jazz neck.

I used to be a huge Fender P bass nut and swore that their thicker necks were perfect for my big hands. I got myself a fretless jazz though, and now the neck on the P feels like a baseball bat and I can hardly play it at all.

16. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
  17. InLeoWeTrust

InLeoWeTrust

Nov 11, 2009
    Idaho
    I voted Fender, because I can't imagine what it is about "Fender quality of late" that you could be unhappy with - or that could be bested by a parts bass.

18. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Seriously... Fender's quality control is universally agreed to have improved *substantially* since about 2007, across all lines but starting with the Squier Vintage Modifieds, which were about the quality of previous years' MIMs when they were introduced. The American Standards post-2008 are very well received, and the Mexican Standards received upgrades and quality boosts I think around 2009 or 2010. Not counting all the side lines - the Classics, the Road Worns, the Modern Players, the Pawn Shops, etc. What's not to like???

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think the Mighty Mite bodies are great starting points. I don't trust the necks. Too many hits and misses! Grab a MIM Fender neck off eBay. Or a neck from Allparts or USACG. I'd use high quality hardware and electronics though.