Making the Jump?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkfish01, Feb 19, 2005.

1. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I've been playing bass since July of 04, and I think that I've gotten pretty decent. I have two basses, both around the $200 vacinity. Well, I was searching around the Essex thread and one of the five string basses ( really caught my eye. It doesn't have a wider neck than a four string, which is good, except I don't know how well I'd do with a five string. I've played a five string before, and didn't have many problems with it. I'm just not sure if I should go ahead and get one or not. Your thoughts?
  2. my thoughts are always the same in this situation

friend, keep saving your dollars and buy an instrument that will keep you happy for a long time.

here's why

buy a bass that costs $200 bucks
    a year or so later, you are a better player and realise that the bass you play is fairly ordinary.
    so you buy a $600 bass
    two years later you want a better bass, spend $1000

other option is to save a bit more and buy the $1000 bass without spending the $800 getting there.

keep your $200 boat oar and keep saving

just my opinion.
  3. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I'd think the same, however I've heard that Essex basses are VERY good, some even say they're better than the Fender MIM series. I'm not willing to buy an expensive bass at this point, however. I'd like to keep it under $400 if at all possible.
  4. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I actually made the jump from a Washburn XB100 to a Warwick Dolphin SN5 ... pretty large leap :) I sold my bike, so i was thinking of just getting a bass that i could keep for the rest of my life.. without buying lots and selling em..

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

So true....if you're serious about your craft, then you'll buy an investment which happens to be an instrument.

Determine how much you're willing to spend, go find a bass that you're gassin' over that's a slight stretch financially, and then save up the extra dough.

You'll have a better bass and it'll mean more to you 'cause you stretched for it.
  6. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Actually, the question pertains more about getting a five string bass than the price of said instrument. Playing the bass isn't something that I should empty my wallet over.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    True, but the reference as to cost of his previous two basses indicated that there is an eye on economy....or at least maximization of value vs price
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I did a pretty big leap, too:

Ibanez SDGR 300DX LH -> Warwick Corvette 6...
    I think I win :p
    Add that I've never played a 6- or even a 5-string bass before that. Though I played guitar...

If you feel like you can handle 5 strings, and you like the low notes and think you'll need them later on, then go for it. But be sure to try many (if you can) to know that you can handle them.