1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Malekko Germ Assmaster - Expression MOD?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smo, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm going into a bit of a love for fuzz patch - and I've been looking into the Malekko Germ. Assmaster.
    I currently have a few different fuzzes (or is it fuzzii?) also.

The Malekko doesn't seem to get mentioned much around here - I'm just wondering - is this due to it's price?
    Or is it not popular for some reason I don't know?

I've been curious about the new ones on the Malekko site that have an expression pedal OUT that controls the sensitivity.
    http://www.malekkoheavyindustry.com/index.php/special-edition
    Anyone have one of these?
    And more importantly - is it worth the extra $$$ for this feature?

Thanks again, smo

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I have a double germ with the expression pedal, but I haven't gotten to try it out yet as my expression pedal (line 6, of course) isn't compatible with it. Josh at Malekko is one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with as he is a stand up guy that backs everything he makes. The Malekko may be pricey, but it is worth every penny! :hyper:

3. Sorry 'bout that - the search didn't yield any answers for me....

SO A DOUBLE GERM YOU SAY? Cooooooll....:cool:
    What's it look like? Does it work the same way?

4. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    It's a silverburst ltd. ed. with two germanium trannies. It has a sound that is smoother than the regular germ with more gain. It's a nice belligerent ratty fuzz with a very vintage characteristic.

5. Is that a custom order Vegas, or is the double germ transistors standard on all 'Silverburst' editions?

6. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well the Silverburst pedals were limited edition. They made a batch of pedals with different colors on them.

7. Yeah, and there are 5 each silicone and germ silverburst models left. But the site doesn't say anything about doubling the trannies.

8. i should be getting my Germ with exp input very soon, Josh was horified when he discovered my original Silicon model wasnt functioning properly (weird clean boost when both switches to the right - he said it sounded like crap and that he was personally shocked that it was even sent out), i thought it sounded great tho, and as a goodwill gesture he's sending me the germ model with exp input.

now the pedal is expensive, and anyone who says otherwise must be tripping balls. in fact i was gonna sell my original B:assmaster coz its so expensive and i was scared about bringing it to gigs and it getting nicked, but to be honest i like the sound so much id rather get rid of all my 'non-essential' pedals (ie most of them) and just keep the B:assmaster, and now im getting the germ one i just sit and wait for the postman everyday

as for the use of the exp. id say its probably definitely worth it ;)
    as i havent tried it yet i cant really tell, but with high sens on my old one, playing gently yielded the really aggressive octavia sound that cuts like a knife and digging in rounded the sound off a little more, less upper octave. while this adaptablility to playing dynamics is really cool, sometimes i dont want to play gently when i want the octave sound, and im no jaco, my dynamics arent always that pronounced, i just play hard alot of the time so the exp sounds like a really good idea.

9. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    My germ model has the expression jack. It is a very neat feature.

10. Arg! Stop it - you're talking me into it! :help:

Ta DosiYanarchy,
    Could you please let me know how you go?

and grygrx - have you found that this mod is useful for a live setting?