Manhandling Ampeg 810 cabs...How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluesbass99, Sep 24, 2010.

1. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Not to sound too stupid, but how in the world do you guys manhandle those big Ampeg 810 cabs? I'm to the point of buying an Ampeg SVT VR and plunking down another $1k for the 810 cab, since it is a natural pairing; but the concern I have is moving this giant fridge. Right now I've got a couple of neo cabs which are probably 100 pounds lighter than the Ampeg 810. Is it a matter of simply balancing the cab on the wheels? Ain't no way I can "man-up" to 165 pounds, I don't think, unless there is some technique to handling these. Thanks.

2. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Well, are 2 4x10's an option?

Otherwise, do what I did in my 20's with my friends band (I did sound and light and helped with load in and load out) Get a furniture dolly and a moving pad. Yup, your cab is a fridge, so use what is used to move a fridge. Put the pad between the amp and dolly and ratchet the strap tight! Then tip the dolly back and wheel your amp out!

And the plus here is a furniture dolly has the climbing belts to make up and down the stairs a breeze! And if your back/pocketbook/desire warrants it, get one that has the powered stair climbing feature to it.

For example - http://www.handtrucksrus.com/newappliance.aspx

3. lean the beast on the stage/tailgate etc and lift one end.....they can be walked vertically,one side then the other,opt you can build a four wheel dolly,or a two wheel dolly works too.....i've suggested in the past that a carrying handle on the bottom center is good.....try to position handles so the persons carrying them can leave their arms straight.....much easier that way.....lots of guys on here swear that the fridge is easier than 2 4x10's and i'm inclined to agree.....learn how to work with the size and weight and don't fight it

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

+1

Not that there aren't lighter options nowdays but the 810 becomes it's own tilt back and roll as if it were already on a dolly/handtruck. Unless you're a delivery/warehouse guy you may have to get used to moving it that way but you'll get it. Work with it, don't fight it. I also think a single 810 is easier to move than a pair of 410's. It's tall enough you can lean it back, pick up the bottom and slide it. A 410 has a lower center of gravity and would have to be picked up from knee level to chest level to accomplish the same thing.....and there's 2 of them.

5. Yes you will need either wheels or a hand truck to move the beast, you will need a truck or van or station (estate) wagon and cooperative band members for stairs, tall stages. Learning to dance the monster is always the fun part and by all means do try to lift that puppy alone if you can help it.
    Never used a 8x10 but back in the day I used an Acoustic 4x15 followed that with a PV 3620 (2x18+2x10) & PV 2xEV15L & 2x12 or 4x12, do not miss those daze at all.
    One of the regular gigs was an upstairs dance hall up a double narrow rickety staircase, we used to comp folks who helped us load in/out.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    handtruck and small rug. the rug is for sliding it up onto stages. not the easiest thing in the world, but it's not that bad, either. and it's easier than deadlifting 410's.

7. Don't buy a new one... You can get them used all day for $500-$700.

8. I have found that the 8X10 is "relatively" easy to move around. The tilt-back is extremely easy. I move mine about with one hand.

Having said that - if you have to lug the beast UP stairs, that's another story!! However, with a little help from say, your drummer (we all know that guitar players are wooses) it's not that big a thing.....:D

Fortunately, today is nowhere NEAR as bad as say, 1973...lugging a B3 and a Leslie or two up stairs....Jimmy, I'm sure can relate! ;)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    dude, tru dat! i used to work with an organ player who brought one of those giant hammond concord theater organs and two big leslies. insane! you never lived till you've tried to move an organ or piano up a flight of stairs!

10. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Ever notice it's the guys who don't own a SVT bottom that say they're awful to move or you need a roadie. It's the SVT bottom owners that say it isn't a big deal.

11. Not to hijack the thread (but it sort of applies) -

We used to play weekly at an old VFW hall....pretty good gig back in the 70s...but it was UPSTAIRS!!!! :bawl:

We had dollies for the Hammond, but still....my God!!!

And those clowns bitched because I had 2 2X15 Sunn Cabs.....:scowl:

But what the hell, we were young and couldn't care less....of course 40 years later.....:eyebrow:

12. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Or a high quality cover, I've had to lug the damn things up really high stages alone. Let gravity work getting them down.
    I've had to backline many of 'em alone in bad conditions. 810's are better than those 410 with the tiltback svt style handle and wheels.

I also still get to do the B3 and Leslie a few times a year. Those paydays are good enough that even if I feel like I'm gonna lose bladder control lifting one I can do it with a smile.

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    With the wheels on it, it's really not that bad. Now my tolex looks like an IED hit it though.

14. I owned 2 that were made before they put the sissy bar and training wheels on them. Back then they came with 3 handles - one on each end running side to side and one in the middle running top to bottom.
    [​IMG]
    That one was known as the :eek: handle. I would impress the drunks by laying them side by side on the dance floor speakers facing out, stand between them, grab the middle handles and walk off. :bassist:

Never did get very far. :meh:

I always used a hand truck to get into/out of the venue and had to own a van/station wagon for transport. I moved mine around solo and learned how to dance them around on stage. It's a trick to balance them on their corners and walk them into position. Keeps you in shape. :hyper:

15. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, we used to schlep an M2 and a Leslie. What a giant PITA. But having to help move those beasts plus the PA's 4-6 1205s and 1218s automatically got me free assistance with whatever kit I had.

I used a tilt-back SVT cab in the late '70s and the only time I really needed help was going up certain stairs. Going down stairs usually wasn't bad but you had to be real careful not to let it get away from you. Sometimes it helped to have someone in front acting as a human ratchet to make sure you went down only one step at a time.

Go slow, think/plan beforehand, wear shoes/boots with good traction, and have a quick way out of there if things suddenly go wrong. And try to use your leg muscles, not your back muscles. Watch your posture, don't twist, etc.

16. +1

If/when I restore mine I'll be going with paint if the wood is good enough. If not, I suppose I'll become an overnight expert in tolex application.

17. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I recommend ramps. Any hardware store sells the kit that you attach to a pair of boards. Used it for in and out of the house, on and out the truck, and in and out the club if needed. Inside a fellow band member was always willing to help.

18. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Great thread, only thing I can add is that a VR or a CL head is a bigger hassle to move around. I always manage to come close to smashing my fingers when putting it on top of the cab. Still these rigs are worth it.......................:cool:

19. Adlerburg

Adlerburg

Aug 18, 2010
    Woodstock, NY
    I owned an SVT 810 20 years ago.... It was not a big deal to move it downstairs, on level surfaces. Upstairs or into the van is a royal pain in the a$$, and you need 2 people... but the built in dolly is actually easier than moving my GK RBX 410's. I expect the GK neo's are a bunch lighter in defense of today's 410's.
    Cheers.

20. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey Stevens, you should search out/read some of the threads here about the Bergantino NV610, NV215 or NV412 cabs before buying that fridge. Their only 100lbs, 3 ft. tall and give a very similar (or many say better) tone than a fridge. I own a fridge and a NV610 and I'll guarantee you'd find an NV cab way easier to move.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021