1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

MAPES Piano Tone Electric Bass Guitar Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Linnin, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Anybody heard of them or better yet played them? "Mapes Bass Guitar Strings are built from precision drawn heaxgonal core and vintage NPS wrap to produce the mythic piano tone."
    BASS-label-500x496.png

BASS-label-back.png

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    And this is quite interesting:
    ABOUT OUR STRINGS - Mapes Strings
    • A fourth generation USA company since 1912
    • Our Grandfather William G. Schaff Jr. was the first to use hexagon shaped wire as the core for wound strings (1940).
      Every string is produced with careful craftsmanship and stringent quality standards that are recognized worldwide for musical excellence. As a matter of fact, Mapes Piano Strings are used in every Steinway Piano produced—a quality partnership that has resonated for a century.
    • Our Great Great Grandfather had the first US Patent for a string winding machine (1898).
      Mapes quality strings can be wound in any way you need it, criss-cross whips, coned or flat whips, available in heavy copper, fine copper, nickel plated, blued; with portion sets, single strings, hexagon core strings, and piano wire in various sizes.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  3. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Maiden Bass and Linnin like this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    [​IMG]

Garret Graves and Tanner5382 like this.
  5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

My Dad's company made the controls that run their machines. Supposedly, they are a company that makes many strings sold under other brand names. They wouldn't tell us which.

seang15, Garret Graves and Linnin like this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    because they can't. Nondisclosure agreements in the contracts. Being sued for breach of contract is a quick way to bankruptcy.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    IIRC, Mapes makes most of, if not all, the wire that all the USA string makers use. So, in essence, all string brands are Mapes.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is vintage NPS better than new NPS?

Linnin likes this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Only if cured in Tennessee moonshine

Arthur U. Poon and Garret Graves like this.
  10. Wow cheapest option to Canada is $56 from UPS for a set of each string for bass. Pass.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Octacore huh? Something new to me. I think I'm going to have to give those a try.

I wonder how piano-y they are.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  12. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Do they make Chromes? heheheheheehehhe.....

The price is right. I wonder if this means that a lot of American string "manufacturers" will go, or already have gone, with non-American sources.

They specify that their octocore strings are round would. But, they make no mention of the wrap in their bass "piano" strings. The sight's not very informative.

13. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Do you have to be over 21 to buy 'em cause of the "shine"?

14. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Mapes has made piano bass strings for nearly all American piano makers, as well as replacements for all brands. I've been dealing with them for over 25 years as a piano repair tech.

Great folks, don't know about the moonshine. I wasn't aware of the bass guitar strings until now. I shall call my contact at Mapes and check them out.

seang15, Maiden Bass and Linnin like this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Cool. So, now we can really get that piano sound from our basses! :D

Geri O likes this.
  16. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    No doubt, I'm deciding if I should go for a Yamaha piano bass tone or a Steinway...:D

Actually, in seriousness, I just ordered a set to try them. Other than Ernie Ball Power Slinkys, they are available as a stock item in the gauges I like (.50, .70, .85, .105, .135). We'll see what they do.

17. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    I just ordered a set of these!

BASS-Octacore-string-packaging.jpg
    OCTACORE Bass Guitar Strings - Mapes Strings

• Octacore Strings engage the wrap with 8 gentler points to secure the string along its entire length.
    • The octagonal shape closer approximates a perfect circle and creates a better sound.
    • Octacore strings are unique and the only strings made with an octagonal core.

trothwell and Linnin like this.
  18. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Has anyone tried the Octacore strings yet?
    I'm hoping to have mine by the end of this week!

trothwell likes this.
  19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I'll think you'll be the first! And always remember Bumbles Bounce!

Maiden Bass likes this.
  20. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Yep!

Well I will post back on here by this weekend and let you know how these strings are.
    Since they are the only octagonal strings out there it should at least be interesting.
    I'm really hoping that they have elements from both round core and hex core.
    Stay tuned!

Linnin likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021