1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maple fretboard...or darkwood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Myzee, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Myzee

Myzee

Oct 9, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks of the bass are very important to me long with the usual sound and feel. I just can't help it.....I just DO NOT like the way a maple fretboard looks. Any darkwood does it for me. Rosewood, Wenge etc. Ive owned one bass in my 35+ years of playing that had a maple fretboard.
    What about you? Anyone else not like the way maple looks?

GManfromOz and Warhawk like this.
  2. Maple looks great with a sunburst P. It really just depends on the instrument.

Aqualung60, smogg, St_G and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gee Man

Gee Man Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    I'm with you, I've owned maybe two instruments over the many others over the years with maple FB. No idea why, just my aesthetic, apparently. No hate to maple FB lovers, of which their are legion.

tfer and Warhawk like this.
  4. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    It really just depends on the overall look of the instrument. Some look better with maple, some look better with something else.

- John

Warhawk likes this.
  5. I love maple! I love rosewood! I love ebony!

I have all three and like them all. My favorite bass does have a maple fingerboard but I'd like it as much with ebony or rosewood.

jeff7bass, frankzelf and MojoPenguin like this.
  6. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I like the way maple looks, can't stand playing bass guitars with maple boards. Feels too hard and sounds too bright. However, that's the way I think Strats (like mine) and Teles should be. If you can rock a bass with a maple board, you have more options open to you.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I hate rosewood necks, interestingly though, most of my basses have rosewood necks.

homer thinking.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    dls119, SpyderX, CapnSev and 4 others like this.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Darkwood is the name of my new fantasy trilogy.

Look for it in bookstores in early 2019.

9. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    As far as looks I like maple, especially with black block inlays. I don't know why, but a Rosewood fretboard just feels better. I've owned both. My next bass will be Warmoth, probably either a maple or Pau Ferro fretboard with black block inlays (and black hardware!).

Warhawk and Bass Man Dan like this.
  10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Mmm... maple.

1.jpg

11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    So you say you "just can't help it". And you say you "owned" a maple boarded bass. So I presume you no longer have it.
    Well, in the interest of helping a fellow TB'er, I think there is a deeper problem underlying this issue. My approach to it is below.

I think it would be best if you were to get another maple-fretboarded bass. A cheapie would be fine.

Here are the "Thens":
    --Then hide it under your bed.
    --Then wait for unexplained noises to start coming from under the bed.
    --Then go to sleep with one arm and hand draped over the edge of the bed and discover if anything will grab it, perhaps starting out as a gentle brush against your hand.
    --Then see how long it is until the headstock (also maple) starts to inexplicably and repeatedly be slightly moved while you are away so that it is "peeking" from under the bed.

--Then get back to us.

Firewraith and saabfender like this.
  12. Agreed. I’ve only owned three basses in my life. A blue burst with ebony fingerboard and matching headstock. A green burst with ebony fingerboard and matching headstock. And a black with rosewood fingerboard and matching headstock.

You’d think I was only interested in dark boards and dark headstocks. I’m gassing for a Ray with maple board and unfinished headstock...

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Currently don’t have any maple boarded basses, but I am building one and have owned several... never noticed or thought about a difference in feel.

-robert

GrooverMcTube likes this.
  14. There is a definite softer feel to rosewood when compared to maple or ebony. Sonically more subdued, also. Out of 14 basses, I only have a couple of with rosewood. Two are ebony, the two Rics have bubinga, and the rest are maple. There isn't one of them that's not comfortable to play (even the Carvin is great in that regard, I just can't get used to it). As a youngster I thought maple necks were the coolest looking things ever. Maybe that's why there are so many in the stable.

15. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Maple sure looks good on these two.

B6E3B955-0DA1-4805-B19A-5FEF0C2F4BA7.jpeg 72A249BE-9209-40D7-A38C-0A715043A53E.jpeg

jeff7bass, wmmj, NigelD and 2 others like this.
  16. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    I'm just the opposite....love the looks of a maple board on both basses and guitars. I've got two rosewood board basses that seem to be getting less and less use.

JBoogy and jmattbassplaya like this.
  17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Own 1 ebony, 1 maple, and 1 rosewood.

18. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I don't care about looks.
    Fret board feel is something many can adapt to.
    If I need a quick glance to check finger position, I like maple a lot more.

I still wrestle with the question of tonal difference (Fender P's).
    Never had 2 basses that were close enough in age to be sure (1960 vs. 1972 or 73' maple).

You Fender guys ever have 2 P's that were the same approx. weight in alder, same era, same strings, and the only difference being the finger board? Question being is there a consistent difference.

Nomogram likes this.
  19. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    I love me a maple p. Ditto maple strat. Ebony on the paul and the acoustics. Phenolic on the mod. On a fretless it is rosewood with flats. I like the feel of maple with frets

20. Im a Maple kind of guy... I have one Rosewood neck bass and 4 Maple fret board basses ..all from the Fender Family

fretlessguy and saabfender like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021