Maple vs. Rosewood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbass-chicago, Sep 18, 2006.

1. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi,

I've always had basses with rosewood necks, and I'm curious if people notice a tonal or playability difference with the maple neck.

Thanks!

2. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Short answer is "yes" with respect to tone, "no" with respect to playability. But you probably want to do a search -- the topic has been covered many, many times.

3. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I can see the dirt from dead skin on my maple neck...:(

4. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Sonic tone chambers can compenstate for the differences between the two necks.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'd say use the search function usually, as this topic has been covered multiple times at length. But since it doesn't work right now, I guess another thread about this won't hurt.

I think the common thought here on this topic is that maple fb's have more attack and are brighter sounding, and rosewood sound a bit more warm and mellow sounding.

6. Haha... You guys can't say use the search function! Hahaha :ninja:

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I have also noticed that light-colored basses sound brighter, while darker colors tend to sound, well, darker.

But if I close my eyes, they all sound the same, with or without tone chambers. :oops:

8. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Oops, sorry tbass, I didn't really the search wasn't working. But still, you might do well just scrolling backwards through this forum - the topic really is covered a lot and you'll likely bump into a relevant thread pretty quickly.

Not trying to avoid the questions, I just remember that lots of folks (including Roger Sadowsky) participated in the most recent thread on this particular issue.

9. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    lefty007, that's a generalisation that covers common woods quite accurately from what i know. ebony bucks the rule tho - its extremely dark in colour, and its bright in tone.

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    This has been beat to death, and there's only one answer: if you like the sound of a bass with a maple fingerboard, then that's better.

If you like the sound of a bass that uses a different type of wood or other material for the fingerboard, then THAT's better.

For you.

11. As an "amatuer" who loves the sound of a maple board, I must say it is harder to play accurately as fingering slightly off and you really hear the frets. I still love it. And it might make me a better player eventually.

Gotta try ebony. Plus, you know, BLACK is BEAUTIFUL!

12. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I did try to search first, but as you all know, TB was/is "searchless" for the time being. I'll try skimming through the headlines and see what I find.

If it's that's common a question, and that annoying when it comes up, why not make it a sticky?

13. cdb

cdb

Jan 12, 2004
    phila, pa area
    i think the differences are pretty minimal. i play both. I think most differences are in the mind.

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Its not annoying, tbass. I think all questions have their merit here, even if they have been asked before. Topics can be revisited with fresh debate. This topic however has been heavily covered here.

15. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
  16. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  17. RRRRUUUUUUUNNNN!!!!! :D

There was a thread up here some time ago that got pseudo-heated over the topic. I shiver when I think of that happening again! :smug:

I think that generally speaking, yes there is a difference. BUT, with all of the variation between multiple pieces of the same wood, it's not so safe to say that.

Re: playability, Maple is generally clear-coated, while Rosewood is bare. Could that make a playability issue? I suppose to some.

18. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    I like the darker boards myself,smother sound to my ear.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

:D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021