1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marc Johnson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by lkbass22, Apr 29, 2010.

1. lkbass22

lkbass22

Apr 21, 2009
    New York City
    my bad wrong forum i'm sorry

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Grab an upright and stay. We're friendly here. :p

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And now we're in the right forum. So, about Marc Johnson?

4. His duo interplay with Bill Evans in "Up with the lark", on first Paris Concert album, was life changing for me.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Did you say Marcus...:p

6. lkbass22

lkbass22

Apr 21, 2009
    New York City
    what i meant to post was...

After a few weeks of listening I've gone through the Bill Evans live set "Turn Out The Stars" (which I would highly recommend to anyone who likes Evans). One of the things that really stood out to me was that every track had great playing by Marc Johnson a player who I had not heard of before getting this set. I was wondering if anyone could recommend another album that he plays on that is worth picking up.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I like the stuff with his wife, Eliane Elias. No jokes, please. Also he has recorded a bunch with Enrico Pieranunzi, another fine pianist. Marc is a very fine player with a great sound.
    A favorite with Bill:

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There's a bunch on ECM too, that record with Frisell and Metheny, BASS DESIRES, etc.

9. Both Bass Desires albums, Right Brain Patrol, Sound of Summer Running, his latest solo "Shades of Jade", all those Evans' albums of course. Several terrific albums with John Abercrombie (he teams great with Peter Erskine). Lyle Mays' "Fictionary". There's a great one in a duo setting with Eric Longsworth. A trio one with Pieranunzi and Paul Motian.

By the way, I think his book on bass soloing is great.

10. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    He's on the first Lyle Mays solo CD too though not every track. One of my favorites is the Toots Thielmans CD called "Do Not Leave Me" with Joey Baron on drums and Fred Hersch on piano. An amazing deconstruction of the "All Blues" line as well as an incredible solo.

bob

11. quartetwest

quartetwest

Apr 10, 2007
    Boston West
    In addition to the above mentioned releases, which are all excellent, one of my favorites is "Pure Getz" from 1982 - Stan Getz, Jim McNeely, Marc Johnson, Vic Lewis (and Billy Hart). There was also a video released around the same time (1983, I believe) from this group performing at a Mondavi vineyard in CA.

Marc's book on bass soloing is indeed excellent.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Man... that thing he does at the end of the audio supplement is astounding. :eek:

13. quartetwest

quartetwest

Apr 10, 2007
    Boston West
    That audio supplement is quite inspiring. I listened to that several times before I ever even opened the book. I'm going to go give it a listen again.

14. I feel inspired just by listening to Marc Johnson counting off the four beats. It swings like hell before he even starts to play.

15. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    +1 for Pure Getz.

16. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Marc Johnson playing Scott Lafaro's bass:

17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    His playing on Dino Saluzzi's "Cité De La Musique" is beautiful. They did a later version with Palle Daniellson that is worth hearing, too.
    Johnson is really great on a Martial Solal trio, on Soul Note.

18. When I first got here I thought TB's Marcus Johnson WAS Marc Johnson. Naturally, I piddled my pants.

19. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    The earlier trios with Erskine are worth hearing, too, esp. the one with John Surman as a guest. The music and the covers of the trios are "of their time", but each one has some great bass playing!