Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller @ BB King's in NYC???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 25, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone else go?

our own Capt. Scarlet and BoiNtC were cool enough to score me a ticket, and we watched MM rawk hizzouse. it was their 3rd or 4th time to see the man, but my first, and he definitely did NOT disappoint.

we were gonna sit waaaay in the back, but one of the ushers were nice enough to find us a table right up against the stage! so close, we were afraid we'd be kicked in the head by the frantic guitar player. :meh: sat next to a cool dood from japan who had some equally cool pics of billy sheehan on his camera phone! sounds like something a TB'er would do, no? ;)

anywho, MM kicked things off with jimi hendrix' "Power of Soul", and holy crap, if only MM was able to play with the man... :eek: the rest of the set was just as killer, even when MM put down the bass, and picked up his soprano sax or bass clarinet. not too shabby of a player. he aint Dave Sanborn, but thankfully, he aint Kenny G either. while MM walked thru the crowd with his wirelessly mic'd bass clarinet, he literally ran into Kenny Garrett, who finished the solo on his sax. staged? maybe, but still cool.

we were ready to leave after the first set, but then decided to pay for the extra 2nd set tickets. and thank the lawdy we did! MM really took off in the closing of the second set, and did a medley of "Burnin' Down the House / Teen Town / Power (Panther?)". and if you havent heard Teen Town slapped you havent heard bass!

funny thing, after the show, i noticed both of MM's EBS 4x10's being put into two large cardboard shipping boxes. guess he gets 'em straight from Sweden, eh? and we were kinda disappointed MM didnt pickup the uber sweet black burst Fodera fretless 5 that was just sitting on the stand. MM also had the new MM signature 5 string, but word is its only there for show. :smug:

i've got a whole slew of pics, but am trying to make some room on my server. gimme a bit, and i'll have 'em up.

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Cool joker!

I think I have the EBS cab "mystery" solved. Marcus lives in LA, and the EBS distributor (Brooklyn Gear) is in, well, Brooklyn. They probably sent the cabs over to the gig so Marcus didn't need to schlep. Somebody's going to get some slightly used cabs with some extra secret mojo. :D

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I saw Marcus at the BlueNote in NYC last year. Wish I could have gone again this year. Too much GAS debt to deal with at the moment. Including my Fender Marcus Miller V so at least Marcus still got some of my money. :D

4. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I took 'a couple' of shots while he visited here last summer:

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, kong, but my digital camera shoots great in low light. and nice shots, Tru!

6. Hi!

Have you got pics of marcus settings on his HD350 heads!
    I've got this head and cabs, would be curious to try those settings with my marcus 4 strings!

Vince

7. I saw him in Virginia at the Birchmere on June 20th. I wish I got to hear him play power of soul, but you guys missed him play frankeinstein and Da butt. He also pulled out his fodera fretless for a song but i cant remember what song it was at the moment.

8. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Hey Jokerjkny,

I was in NY on a business trip and saw Macus play on the 22. They sat me right next to the stage in front of Marcus. In fact if this is pic him playing on the 22nd, if you would have gotten me in this picture if you would have moved down towards his foot pedals. (I only say that because that was what he was wearing when I saw him.)

It was a fantastic show. This show was by far better than when he played in LA a few weeks ago, he actully played in Long Beach.

9. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I just re-read your first post and it looks like we both were at the same show. I was there when Kenny Garrett started to play in the crowd and then walked up on stage with MM. I was hoping MM would have finished the night with a cool bass solo but he didn't, he just stuck with the sax :meh:

Still a great show. His version of Jimmy was sweet!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i do have a few other pics, i'll see if i can tease something out for you. stay tuned... ;)

and SD-dood,

cool! but sheesh, your hair musta been flying about with all the air his cabs were pushin'. :eek:

11. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    It was soooooo sweet! Good thing I have short hair. You didn't happen to be the guy who was wearing the Black Bass Player shirt that night were you? You were problably right next to that guy. I took those guys to be media because that table was reserved. I asked the hosted if our party could be seated there and she told us nope its reserved. She then asked if we wanted to sit in front of Marcus. I told her HELL YA!