1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller Jazz IV Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rhysbishop, Jul 29, 2012.

1. rhysbishop

rhysbishop Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Hey everyone, can anybody tell me, to your knowledge, what the weight of a marcus miller jazz bass is?

2. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    There's no way to know without weighing the actual specimen itself. Even within the same make and model of bass, individual instruments will vary widely because they are made of wood and wood is a natural product with a lot of variation in its density, even within the same species.

When you pay up for a very expensive bass that's made of the usual Fender-style woods -- ash and alder -- often what you are really paying for a is light and resonant piece of wood.

All that said, the Jazz bass is Fender's largest body, and most specimens these days seem to weigh in between 9 and 10 pounds.

Some sites online list specific weights of the instruments. Sweetwater is one. I know you asked about the 4 string, but here's a 5er that weighs 10 pounds:

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/sUS11044753/

I could see the 4 string weighing 9. Good luck!

3. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    Mine is closer to 10 or maybe 11. It's heavy, but I haven't officially weighed it. It's heavier than my MIM J and both of my CV Squiers by far. Great bass, though. Easily my go-to for everything.