Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

marcus miller sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Mar 13, 2005.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    wow, all i have to say is wow.

just got back from guitar center where i just got to play one of these babies. i absolutely loved the natural body, pickguard, tone and neck inlays. it seemed like the perfect bass for me, though the ampeg i was playing it through may have been part of it.

i guess my real question is, how much does this usually go for new, since the $700 price tag seemed a little steep. right now i have a warwick rockbass corvette standard. im in love with this bass also, but in a different way. the rockbass sounds a bit hollower, if you can understand that, but it can get more clank, again, if you can understand that. i think the MM sig will sound better with my band, which had a modern rock/prog type sound. im also concerned about how it will sound through my crappy crate bx100 combo amp. are there any owners out there who didnt like this bass and didnt end up sticking with it? im asking since ive pretty much only heard good things about this bass.

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    $700 is actually a good deal. Musicians Friend now sells them for $839. I'm really beginning to miss mine. I'm thining of a Marcus Miller 5 in white if I ever get a 5 string.

~Patrick

3. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    $700 new is a good deal. I bought a used one for $550 a few years back and it was great bass. I regret selling mine as well.

4. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    thnx guys, i will prolly go pick this up as soon as i can afford it... :bawl:

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've never seen a new one selling for less than $740-760, and most used ones go for $550-650. That is definitely a good buy for a new MM. I love their sound too... the only thing stopping me from getting one is the possibility of buying a used Jazz and putting in a J-retro. :bassist:

6. pdxmar

pdxmar

Feb 13, 2005
    I bought mine in December for $700 from GC. They are the great sounding and playing basses. I swapped out the preamp with a bartolini but the stock preamp is fine as long as you don't overdue the boost. I also ended up shielding the pickup cavities and now it is dead quiet.

7. Hi,

I just get my new F Bass BN5 thursday. But I replayed my Fender Marcus Sig, and I have to say that I'll keep it for sure...Love that bass, really special!
    The only thing I'll do, is to put on it the sadowsky onboard preamp I just received...
    Because I hate trebles of that bass!
    It's a keeper for sure, and not expensive!

Vince

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I posted a thread a while back about me going into Guitar Center to try and trade my Lakland for something else as I wasn't really happy with it. I grabbed a MM4 sig and was totally blown away. They were asking $649.00 for it but they would not give me fair trade value for my Lakland so now I have to suffer for at least a year before I can get the Fender.

9. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I had a similar experience a few months ago. Walked into GC and played it, was blown away, nearly bought it. But I waited to find a good deal on one used ($550 w/case).

I don't really like the preamp very much, and wish the pickguard was thinner, but otherwise, this one is a keeper.

10. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    wow, that sucks...i have to wait a while before i can afford it also.

11. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    i played one too, fantastic bass IMO.

BTW, did marcus miller ever use rickenbackers? because for some reason the MM looks like a ric. the pick gaurd shape is similar near the back, the single pick up cover, the large inlays

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I picked up one within the past couple months after trying many other 4 strings. Some costing 3-4 times as much. In the end, it was the Marcus Signature, hands down.

13. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    sunburst 0257802

14. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    700 is a good deal...i was actually playing a sunburst version today and LOVED it....it was goin for around 8 and change

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    NO, he never played a rick. Marcus is a Fender guy. The single pup cover came from his love of Jermaine Jacksons jazz bass in the early 70's ( his first sunburst jazz looked just like Jermaines). The large inlay's were how they came in the 70's. Larry Graham had a Jazz bass in the 70's with a pickguard like that one, I was shocked when I saw a pic of him playing it!