1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller talks about compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by qervo, Mar 21, 2013.

1. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    http://youtu.be/gWhnJoPaoBo
    Sort of an overview of how to use compression. I like the way Marcus explains it here. His vibe is so laid back and for some reason the sound of his voice just cracks me up.

2. Rhegedor

Rhegedor

Mar 1, 2013
    Mmm that was a nice explanation on it. I basically understood compressors before but nice reinforcement on using one.

3. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    I understood the principles but I wasn't to sure about ratios.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    The ratio dictates the amount of compression a note experiences once it passes the threshold. For instance, a 2:1 ratio means that for every 2 dB a note is above the threshold, the volume only goes up 1 dB.

That's pretty gentle compression and with a slow attack it would be a very subtle change to your sound.

As the ratio gets higher and higher the compression really squeezes any notes that get above the threshold so that they don't get much louder than where the threshold is set which makes for VERY noticeable compression when the ratio gets to 10:1, 20:1 or even infinity:1 where other than the initial spike that the compressor doesn't catch no notes are higher than the threshold.

Since the compressor is basically decreasing your average volume (since the loud spikes are now quieter) compressors have a gain knob (or automatic internal control) to raise the average volume back up. This is what makes your softer notes louder when using a compressor. It's also why compressors enhance existing noise since you're essentially turning up the volume on everything.

5. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    Thanks. I appreciate the explanation

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Good video love that amp

7. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    Have you played through these amps ? Anyone else own one? Thoughts?

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I have not but it looks really feature packed

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I liked his explanation but I didn't really hear much of a difference in sound when he changed settings.

I liked his sound better when he was using EBS.

10. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ebs has some amazing compressors built into their amps for sure. Not an Swr fan at all.