Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller type compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 17, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looking for a similar compression to Marcus Miller's without the $1200 price tag. I don't use compression much (once in about five years) and this is my weakest area in effects knowledge. I'm looking for a vintagey almost sounding squish like Marcus Miller.

Looking around $100-150 tops for something like this, new or used. Maybe a punch factory? I'm not too sure.

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Demeter Compulator.
    Optical compressor. Smooth and squishy if you would like. Or real subtle.

The cats nuts IMO.

About $200-$225 new. I think the Groove Shoppe has them in stock and new for the $200.

Used, when they do show up, which isn't often, is right in your price range.

http://www.demeteramps.com/

3. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    Try an EBS multicomp (he uses all their stuff inc. amps)

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On the contrary, he only uses EBS amps, cabs, IQ Envelope Filter, Multi-Drive and Octabass.

The compressor he uses is an Epirical Labs EL8X Distressor, and it's priced at a whopping $1200.

5. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    There was in an interview with Marcus in the UK Bass Guitar Magazine a few months back where he mentioned using the EBS MultiComp live so it's worth a look.

Cheers,
    Alun

6. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    tplyons is correct.

7. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    No doubt he is for studio work, but the man himself has mentioned using the MulitComp live so it's worth trying one.

Cheers,
    Alun

PS I've never tried either, I'm just going off what Miller is reported to have said.

8. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    Note he did say that he is looking for "similar compression to Marcus Miller's without the $1200 price tag", sorry if I implied that he did use the EBS multicomp but I thought it would be the best shot at getting that MM compression in hid price range.

9. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Tim,

I'm not familiar with Miller's work but IIRC the claim to fame for the Distressor is that it gives that gritty "tube-like" compression, ie compression with distorted harmonic overtones.

Is that what you are looking for?

If I got it right, perhaps you should look in your own back yard- the EHX Black Finger.

I have heard that some of these are noisey and some are quiet. However, you are looking at a pedal where one tube handles compressiuon and the other handles the GAIN. That would seem to tend to lend to that style of tone.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Considering it, but it's a tad bit too rich for my blood. As you can tell, I'm totally lost when it comes to compression though,

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hmmm... I might know where you could find some fairly comprehensive coverage of the subject...

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So do I, unfortunately I find most HC reviews to be rather shallow and consistently happy with the product. Not very helpful IMO.

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Actually, the links you might find most useful are on the last post I made in that thread, including all kinds of discussion here on TB and a good article on compression from Electronic Musician magazine. Also, while what you say about HC reviews is generally true, I found a lot of useful criticism and low scoring in the range of compressors. That's why my list of the "best-reviewed" units was a tiny fraction of the total list of reviews. Perhaps if I find some more free time (or if you or anybody else does) we could make a list of the compressors that claim to offer "tube sound", for easier comparison. Unfortunately, I think all of the good ones are above your price range. Maybe just keep your eyes peeled on the used market for a good deal?

14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, if you said $100-$150, it fits the bill if you get one used.

15. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Fretlessrock (pete) was really a huge help for me when I got into compression. Here is something he wrote, that I have addended, that may help you out:

[/FONT]

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 on all that. He usually popped up in threads when I was asking about compression. He's one very knowledgable dude :cool:

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I forgot about the ART Levelar. It's a tube compressor you can usually pick up used for about $80 US.

18. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1 on the Levelar. I almost posted earlier suggesting it but I've been ridiculed previously for my love this little tube based gem. It's easily my favorite compressor.

BTW, I have a Demeter Compulator that I'd part with if you're interested (but not my Levelar-- you'd kave to pry that one out of my cold dead hands. Well, OK, I'm really not as passioante about it as *that*, but you get the picture-- I like it.:p )

PM me re: the Compulator if you're interested.