Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Sep 11, 2005.

1. HI
    Thanks to all for the input on teh marcus miller thread I posted couple days ago. I actually own one now and really like it. I am posting this thread to ask if anyone else who owns one or has had experience has got some pretty bad hum out of the pickups. I know they are single coil and it is in their nature to make some noise but I was curious as to how much noise they make and if there is any way to eliminate it. I was considering the noisless PUs but I really love the marcus sound and don't want to alter that in anyway but would like to get rid of the buzz. Thanks in advace. By the way for those who replied my previous thread as to if I should buy the MM, I was given it for my birthday!!!!

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Do the Marcus Miller Fenders have copper shielding in the control cavities? If not that might help right?

Oog :)

3. just send it to me... i'll make sure you never hear it hum again.

4. Hello,

I own my Marcus Miller for 5 years now!
    It's my first "real" bass, and i'm proud of it.

I recently changed the preamp to get something better, and I regret that...The one I put in it is just not what I want, so I'll be back to the older one soon.

Bye
    Vince

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    You one funny guy li'dat... :D :D :D

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah,
    as said above, try getting the control cavity and around the pickups painted with shielding paint or use copper shielding. that helped my jazz bass.

i think the pre amp in that bass can be a bit noisy on the treble responce.

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It is a noisy preamp, particularly with the treble boosted. I love the way it sounds, and I intend to own one soon, but I think if/when I do, I will swap out either or both of the pickups and preamp for higher-end models. I know of at least one TB'er (Tommixx) who had Sadowsky hum-cancelling pickups and their famous preamp put in his MM, and he loves it. If I were you, wait and see if he chimes in on this thread, or just PM him and ask if he can break down the differences he's found since making the mods. There are a lot of other TB'ers who have made changes to their MM's too... maybe they'll show up here shortly.

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah,

i just got a sadowsky ultra vintage metro and i went with single coils because i prefer the sound to the humcancelling.

it is very quiet with either pickup soloed, even with some treble boost.

the sadowsky preamp is fantastic

9. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    The jazz bass is hum cancelling when both pickups are turned all the way up. If that's not the sound you want than just turn the one pickup off during the count into each tune. No one can hear the buzz when the band is playing.

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeah, i remember reading marcus miller saying that on his website.

if your not recording, its definetly less expensive! :D

11. thewhitesheep

thewhitesheep

Dec 22, 2004
    I rarely used the treble boost on mine when i had the stock preamp. i was semi-satisfied with the sound i got from it. Now i got an aggie OBP-1 and i can set the bass and treble on so many different options and still have loads of headroom due to the 18v...it has made it into a much more versatile bass for me.

12. Hollowman is SOOO right!! I LOVE my Marcus with the Sadowsky PUPS and preamp!! I have already done a couple of tracking sessions and a few live gigs since I got it back....There really is no comparison between before and after. I did not get as much buzz from this one as I got from some of the others I have had but it was definitely more buzz than I need becasue I do a lot of recording. I highly recommend the PUPS AND the Preamp.....It turns this bass into a whole new animal....I can get anything from old school thump by turning down the VTC to that classic 70's finger sound to an EXACT Marcus Tone!!

I had been using a Sadowsky outboard preamp on a number of different Marcus basses over the last year or so but I really wanted an onboard to go with the PUPS......I could not be happier...the outboard will work for the tone and is a HUGE improvement over the stock pre, BUT you still have the buzz problem and the only thing that I have found will eliminate it is the Hum cancelling PUPS.....Good Luck!

Peace,

T

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love mine the way it is, all the electronics are bone stock. However, I've thought about putting some passive Dimarzio HC pickups in.