1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Adams...bassist for "Slave"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SX lover, Jun 29, 2009.

1. SX lover

SX lover

Jun 14, 2009
    Hey Any of you "funksters" remember Mark Adams,bassist of the funk group "Slave"?? That young kid then, was a "funk-bassist prodigy"!:bassist: Let's hear some of your comments...

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Never heard of the guy... but just having the cajones to call your band that name gives them points in my book. That would never get by the PC police today.

3. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I'm very familiar with Mark "The Hansolor" Adams and Slave. In fact "Slide" is the tune that made me want to play bass. In addition to having a kick ass bassist they made great funk and later R&B. They were also the first band I ever saw in concert (1981). To this day Slave is in regular ipod rotation. If you don't know about him... check him out! :bassist:

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Most of the funk (& other) players here are very familiar with Mark Adams. One of my early influences and killer player. There is a Talkbass member here who actually plays for Slave these days as Mark is not performing at the moment. He's the first player I ever heard popping double stops (check out the intro to Stone Jam), slides and making use of a chorus/flanger as part of his signature sound! His main bass was a custom Jazz with 3 pickups.

5. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Definitely. I still find myself quoting the line from "Just A Touch Of Love" every now and then. Love Adams' slides up to the top of the fretboard! DW, that's an interesting tidbit about the custom Jazz.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Mark Adams.

Super talented,original voice and he was just 16 years old when he recorded Slide.

He used Fender Jazzes,Alembics and J basses made by Stars guitars.

7. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    WHAT! :eek: 16! Tell me your kidding, lie if you have to!

I've not heard anyone else with so many tricks up their sleeve and use each one exactly when it was time and how much. Nothing was over the top and too flashy just all in the right place. Fingerstyle, slap, slide, harmonics just sick skills.

Very tasteful, monster player who every bassist, and especially the funk players must and I mean must get familiar with.

Can't count how many times I would just get my head taken off by something and have to rewind to hear it again. His use of slides was unique and I really dig it.

Yes I steal a lot of slide ideas from him.

Jim

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's true. They couldn't tour until he finished HS and was 18 y/o!

9. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Dayum! All that skill and taste at such an early age. Got to toss on Love Me and realize the age he was.

DAYUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm floored. I knew he was young at the time but not that young!

Jim

10. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC

I'm pretty sure that was the delima with "Mark (Drac) Hicks" the guitar player who totally shredded!! Mark (The Hansolor) Adams was a few years older (still young but out of H.S). :bassist:

11. In high school Back in the Day(late 70s)...there would be slap contest during lunch and after school...you had to know all of louis Johnson licks, everything by larry Graham, Wyzards solos and If you could do a Stanley speed lick, you were king! You either played sports or you were in a band. If you were a black kid playing bass, you had to slap or "pump" (That's what we called Rocco's style of playing) One of my favorite concerts was "Battle of the Basses" atthe Savannah Civic Center GrahamCentral Station, Brothers Johnson and Slave

Look at the price of the ticket
    [​IMG] Larry Graham

[​IMG] Brothers Johnson

[​IMG]

Mark Adams (3 x SD quarter pounders)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Mark Adams

:bag:

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Otis those were the days weren't they?

13. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    What does a 3 PU jazz bass sound like??
    I am really intrigued?
    Sound clips?

14. Sho Nuff

15. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Thanks for the story Otis along with the pic of Mark's Jazz. I've seen glimpses in videos of the 3 pickups but this is the best I've seen.

Give it one week before folks start asking how to wire that up. ;)

Jim

16. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    OK not even enough time for me to type it. :D

Dude, listen to Slave and that is who played that there thang. Lord knows what recording he used that thing on though.

Jim

17. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I already know all about slave & mr adams, just didn't know what bass' he used.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Otis, thanks for those wonderful pics!:hyper: I didn't see it, but I remember reading about that tour. Fortunately, I am old enough that I did see Larry Graham and Slave live although I never saw the Brothers Johnson.

Off topic: When I did see Slave, Pleasure was the opening act, and Nathaniel Phillips totally destroyed "Glide!":D:D:D
    Mark Adams had the first rack mounted preamp that I ever saw and he totally captured his studio tone. The bummer was that they only played twenty minutes.:(

19. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    So THAT's where the Big Al idea came from...

20. Some of the stuff with Aurra is on a jazz

BUT I don't know if it was with all 3 pickups. If I remember correctly he said it like having a bass knob on an active preamp. The little black knob is for the neck pickup..he could dial in more lows.