1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Bass Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tps2889, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Tps2889

Tps2889

Mar 25, 2018
    So im looking to get a new rig. Absolutely fed up with lugging a great 90s Trace 4x10 around every week.

So I’ve been researching intensively for a new light weight set up. And I keep stumbling apon the Mark Bass NY112, they say it’s best added to another cab or a combo, but I’m wondering if it would stand up just on its own with say a 500w head.

Would it still cut through in a pretty loud heavy rock band. Would I still get nice lows and punchy mids/highs, or would I just struggle to cut through the mix?

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    What's your max budget?

I would expect that going from your 410 to that NY112 will be a significant performance decrease, and likely will not cut it for heavy rock.

I personally tried downsizing to a single 112 for hard rock once. Didn't even cut it for rehearsals. YMMV

eriky4003 likes this.
  3. No, one NY121P cab wont replace your TE 410. However, if you can stretch to two NY121P cabs you will be able to get thereabouts with a 500w at 4 ohms head. I use two with my 500w Markbass heads and they work well in a rock covers band.

electracoyote and SJan3 like this.
  4. Tps2889

Tps2889

Mar 25, 2018
    Ok, thanks for the heads up.

My other question was a 2x10.... As I want to make shifting gear around as easy as possible I’d rather not have two large cabs.

Any experience with 2x10s? Do they still give you the bottom end needed? Or are they just too toppy?

I’d like a small 2x10, 4ohms and around 800w if those are even available, and a head. I like the look of the Little Mark 800.

5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Given that you said 4ohms, I'm guessing that you're not planning on doubling them up. With most 210s, I'd suspect that you'd run into the same issue as the 112. It just isn't a lot of cabinet.

BUT you also said 800w.... yes, there are expensive 2x10 cabs that might nearly give your 410 a run for its money. The only one realistically boasting that crazy of a power rating that I'm aware of (and make no mistake, that is a crazy power rating for a 210) is the Greenboy Fearless F210.

Just sticking with 10s for no other reason than because it was in your request, the Barefaced Two10 is also worth a look.

In my honest opinion, for a "pretty loud heavy rock band" I'd still personally want more cab than those - but look to their bigger brothers and larger driver sizes, and you'll surely find something that'd work for you in a smaller, lighter package than your 410. It'll just be relatively expensive - hence my very first comment way up at the top of the page as to what you're looking to spend.

eriky4003 likes this.
  6. Tps2889

Tps2889

Mar 25, 2018
    Thank you!

Yeah, I was sure that was a lot of power for a couple of little tens. I’m not a tight budget so I’m not too worried about money, but don’t want to be silly.

I think I may have found an answer, going back to the title of this thread. The Richard Bona 2x12, the Ninja. That packs 800w at 8ohm so giving any amp a lot of headroom. Also a smallish package. I wonder if anyone here has had any experience with that cab? I know they’re relatively new, but someone might have tried one somewhere.

SJan3 likes this.
  7. The Ninja is an 8 ohm cab whereas the 122 NY traveller cab is 4 ohms which will allow your amp to give its full output. It will match your old TE 410 and be lightweight. The 4 ohm cab is only a better choice if you are sure you won't want to add another cab later.

8. Andrew Moss

Andrew Moss

Jan 9, 2018
    I usually run an Aguilar TH500 through a Markbass NY212. Plenty of volume, plenty of boom. Not the cheapest cabs out there but talk about an easy load in. Amp in one hand, cab in the other and bass on my back. One trip done...unless I’m using a pedalboard. Can’t go wrong with Markbass IMO

SJan3 and Tps2889 like this.
  9. Tps2889

Tps2889

Mar 25, 2018
    This is the set up I would love! The TH500 and the NY212! Highly recommended then?

Packs enough punch to cut through against two noisy guitarists?

electracoyote and rodl2005 like this.
  10. Andrew Moss

Andrew Moss

Jan 9, 2018
    I’ve played several gigs in a 2 guitar (one of them was pretty noisey the other was little more reserved.)
    With a heavy handed drummer.

I’ve also run a Mesa M9 through it and gotten awesome sounds, it just depends what you’re going for. I love the tone hammer for playing with my P bass especially, which is 90% of the time...until my Cliff Bordwell gets shipped in a few weeks.

Both pieces of gear are awesome. Markbass makes wonderful amplifiers as well, I want to get my hands on one soon as I get the scratch for it.

Oh, and the TH500 is a wonderful as a direct box for recording.

SJan3 and rodl2005 like this.
  11. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I haven't tried that specific cab but 2x12"s is the minimum I'd consider for a rock band. I own the Markbass 121HR and love it.
    29 lbs and smooth sounding.
    I'd imagine that 2 of these would kick some booty.

electracoyote likes this.
  12. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Agreed! I've had my Markbass head for 9 years as my primary gigging amp. Flawless reliability and great natural tone. I'll not sell it. FWIW, I also own the
    TH500 and it too is a great amp
    I do find the Markbass easier to EQ though and it has crisper highs if you like that. Also a better platform, IMHO, for external effects preamps etc. The Tonehammer has a more baked in tone, but it's a good one.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  13. I've owned two 121HR cabs at the same time as owning two NY121P and tried them together in various configurations. My experience with two 121HR cabs was that it was quite a large rig and the low end needed to be tamed in most venues. Using a NY121P cab with a 121HR was okay but stacking not so good because of the different cab depths.
    My favourite is two NY121P (pretty much the same as the NY122 4 ohm) which have a solid punchy delivery with plenty of low if you want it and is easy to load in/out. You also have the flexibilty of a small powerful single 12 for smaller gigs.
    The extra minor sonic capability of the 121HR cabs just wasn't worth the extra size and weight for me.

14. I sub on guitar sometimes. I run into two bass players in town using 2X12 with around 450-500 SS watts @ 4 ohms (one is using the newer Ninja line from MB, really nice stuff). They own the stage. They are keeping up with loud drummers and loud guitar players, no problem, head room to spare.

IME, a 2X10 won't cut it with even a moderately hard-hitting drummer. Nor will 1X12.

15. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I had a similar issue to you and solved it with this and have not looked back. 600 watts on its own, 1000 with an extra cab. Slightly heavier than other Markbass models but very loud, lovely clarity and very versatile. Can't stop playing mine and I can actually carry it with one hand the average distance between a car park the venue (but bought a little truck trolley cause it looks cool).

Attached Files:

16. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Just checked the manual for that guy, they say that its woofer is a: "12” Markbass Custom (800W RMS)"... a single 800w RMS 12" driver?! :eyebrow:

That seems... incredible.

17. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Had it in my living room to one side of the sofa for the first two weeks and noticed one side off my face was starting to go numb! The thing is loud! In fact it's a bit weird hearing that much sound come out of such a small box. There's no degradation of sound at max volume either! It doesn't have the "Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator" but I have a 30 year old Harkte 4X10 so I don't miss it. The Variable Pitch Filter is fabulous and makes the cheapest bass sound good. It has a warmth that reminds me of MessaBoogie stuff and a punch that reminds me of Ampeg!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  18. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt it's a performer.

Hmm...

TrevorG likes this.
  19. Tps2889

Tps2889

Mar 25, 2018
    Cheers for all the help guys!

I’m off out today to try out a GK MB500 on top of two NY112. He’s selling the lot at a great price :)

TrevorG likes this.
  20. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Are you confusing the 121H and 121HR? Different cabs. The 121HR is a new cabinet.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021