1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark hoppus bass settings?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Kylemcgregor96, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Kylemcgregor96

Kylemcgregor96

Aug 8, 2012
    Glasgow
    I just purchased a Mark Hoppus signature bass and i have an ashdown five fifteen mini stack that's 100w with two 10" speakers.

I can't seem to get his tone setting with his famous growl sound. I've tried every EQ possible. Maybe it's the strings that came with it or it's the amp. It just sounds muddy with some trebble.

He uses an x3 ampeg SVT 8x10 cabs.

Is there a pedal or strings that i can buy?

2. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    I don't know anything about that player, but with a free bump I'll give you general growl advice.
    Steel roundwound strings, pretty low action so there's some buzz (not too much), a pinch of treble, a pinch of bass, cut the low mids a bit and boost the high mids a little more. Also, tone wide open. That should give you some nice growl.

edit: Or at least a reasonable starting point.

3. EvansEssence

EvansEssence

Nov 6, 2011
    You could try a sansamp Tech 21 (190$) or the cheaper Behringer BDI21 (40$). They ar DI's which can emulate that SVT sound that you are looking for. I personally have the Behringer as I wanted to save some money, it gets you reallly darn close to Mark Hoppus's tone in Blink 182

4. SwiftyTom

SwiftyTom

Oct 7, 2011
    I assume you mean the sound like in Wishing Well? Gotta say I love that too and I'm also trying to approach it, was even thinking about that bass too, but then again I hate Fenders, so I got a Yamaha BB424 instead and I have to say, the sound is pretty damn close. My guess is this more in the upper-mid area than treble or bass settings.
    By the way, is "growl" the correct term for this tone (as heard in that linked video from 0:17 on)?

5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    Try playing with a pick on roundwound strings, if it isn't exacly that, try a little bit of overdrive

6. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    +1 on VT bass. I own the Deluxe version, labeled my presets "OD", "Funk", and "Hoppus".

7. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    A few thoughts:

Try out some (several) different strings/gauges, they have a huge effect on tone.

Keep in mind that Mark has really worked for that tone, a lot of it comes from his technique. Keep practicing like crazy.

You might also try an active DI preamp/pedal. They will give you a lot of tonal options. I have a Fishman and I've heard great things about Radials.

I also think parmezans has some pretty decent advice.