1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Hoppus - New Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4StringLoser, Jul 9, 2012.

1. EDIT: NOW WITH MORE BASS!

Just looked through my friends pictures of last night, and he has a few pictures of the basses I didn't get as I was up front, so enjoy :)

PREFACE

I put this thread up because I wanted to share some pictures of Basses, not because I feel like dealing with trolls hating on Mark Hoppus. There are plenty of other places to discuss that, but I'd like to keep this thread just to the basses themselves.
    Now, on with the show!

Last night, I had the pleasure of being front row at Blink-182's Eden Sessions gig (it kicked all kinds of derriere) and I noticed Mark Hoppus had a few new basses, I think he played 6 in total.

1: Olympic White Octopus Bass
    2: Stealth Black MH signature
    3: White Blonde and Tort MH sig
    4:Natural Finish MH Sig with Custom faded Navy Octopus
    5: Roadworn 3T SB MH Signature, worn in neck.
    6: Fluorescent Pink MH sig (Pinky MKII, reversed pickup, glows under blacklight!)

[​IMG]

I only got pictures of 3/4 of his basses (rocking out too hard), but thankfully I have an awesome friend who was kind enough to give me some of his photos:hyper:

2. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    but he isn't a real bassist because he plays with a pick and doesn't bore punters senseless at backyard BBQ gigs by playing note-perfect renditions of Teen Town....... :D

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    When listening to Hoppus I am always amazed how he gets to work with such a fantastic drummer.( IMPORTANT: I do NOT 'hate on' M.H! :) )
    As to the basses...P's with various spray jobs. No?

4. Loving the sarcasm ;)

Though to be honest, he did play note-perfect every single song, not one slip-up.

I think they've really upped their game when it comes to live performance.

5. Well, they're J-Bass bodies - Reversed P-Pickup and a P-Neck, but he played basses with both reversed and older non-reversed Split-P's.

Either way, the basses sounded awesome!
    I don't know what distortion pedal he used, but it was sick.
    So much growl, and it really brought out the low end of his sound.

6. not my kinda bass player but i do admit that he has one really good bassline

pop-punk serves its place imho. it helps people get into the other side of punk

7. Yeah, I love Carousel, was the first bassline I ever learnt :)

Through Blink I discovered probably 75% of the music I like most today.

Fugazi, Propaghandi, Screeching Weasel, Rancid etc.

8. Nihilism

Nihilism

Dec 27, 2011
    I don't want this to turn this into a flame war, but M.H is not a good bassist. I'd expect someone with his experience to slightly improve over the years, but he still plays these boring bass lines. And not having slip ups when playing 4 notes is not so amazing..

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    He's probably made enough money to never have to work again as long as he lives (By being a professional bassist), and he's pretty well known the world over.

I can't say that I'm a huge Blink 182 fan, but he is apparently successful in his chosen career path.

Just sayin.

10. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I'm digging the Nyan cabinets!!!

11. To be entirely honest, no, he doesn't have the technical ability of 99% bassists on Youtube, I know that, you know that and I'm 100% sure he knows that.

What he does have is a passion for his music and the music of others, and I for one will always respect that.

I could understand the hate for him if he were arrogant, but he openly admits he's not a great bassist.

12. I know right? :hyper:

My jaw dropped at the awesome!

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    I don't know blink but I love the Hoppus J/P hybrid in robin's egg blue.

Maybe a disco version of teen-town with BBQ sauce on the side?

14. bronsonelliott

bronsonelliott

Apr 14, 2011
    I personally really like M.H. I feel his bass lines fit perfectly in the songs they create and last time I checked, that's the purpose of the bass player. Not every song (or even band) needs a Wooten-Sheehan-Jaco-styled bass line. There's a enough music in the world for all types and styles.

15. This +1000 :hyper:

16. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Love his basses. As a player, he does what works. Plus, he seems like a cool guy, like when he did that skit with College Humor about bassist being bored.

17. Nihilism

Nihilism

Dec 27, 2011
    I'm not saying he needs extreme bass lines, but he could improve them. He should.

18. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Oh. My. God. Shorts. On. Stage.

19. Are there any clips of his noodling around at soundcheck? Sometimes, the bassist laying down that lame line you here on your favorite tune is a very different bassist in real life.

20. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    It is hard not to get quite good if you play nearly every night for a few hours and have plenty of time for noodling around during the day.
    I would think he plays within himself when writing and for shows as he knows what sounds his fans like, plus he has got an awesome drummer to jam with, personally I think he would have to be at least a fair skill level as he gets to play so often.
    Just my thoughts....