Mark King

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by prof_nutbutter, Nov 2, 2004.

1. prof_nutbutter

Jan 6, 2004
    hi everyone,
    just wanna hear your opinions about mark king, level 42's bassist. i think he rules, coz he actually made slapping quite popular and brought it into mainstream music. but sometimes i think it's a bit overlooked what he does, what do you think?
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I was a Mark King fan in the 80's. Unfortunately Level 42 was a Fusion band masquerading as a pop band if you listen to their early albums. They have acheived the status of shopping mall background music here in the US...
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I've got a couple of their albums on vinyl. Running in the Family and... another one. I don't know what I think... I'm not overly impressed. Very cheesy... the bass is kinda impressive, but I don't get the hype (I heard a live solo from him, not bad)
  4. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
  5. I've kinda given up double-thumping and those triple slap tricks because I saw Mark King playing faster than that with just slap and pop. His thumbs are just lightning!
  6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Mark King is the man who made me want to play bass. I saw him on The Tube (mid-80s British music show) playing with Level 42, they finished the song, and Mark launched into an amazing slap solo. I was about 13. From then on, I was a dedicated bass-o-phile! :) Took a few years for me to get my first bass (usual teenage stuff, parents convinced I'd give it up, etc) but the first thing I learned when I finally got a bass was how to slap Level 42 lines!

I've discovered bassists since who have shaped the way I play more than Mark King, but he was the first and I thank him for that.

Russ :bassist:
  7. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Mark King will always be one of my favorite bassists. I got my hands on everything Level 42 did in the 80's and I still listen to those CDs today. World Machine and Running in the Family are my 2 absolute favorites. Mark's lines are terrific on these 2 CDs. I always hated the fact that he could sing while playing the coolest lines. Just not fair.
  8. peterjc

Nov 3, 2004
    i've never been a fan of him but he inspired so many people to pick up the bass. I don't know how it was in de states but in the 80's every musicshop in europe you came you could hear somebody trying to play mark king lines.(at one point at the frankfurter musicmesse there was every 5 meters somebody playing his basslines)
    He didn't create that style of slapping but he shure made it popular to the public. and don't forget he was also the leadsinger of the band, so while his was playing these lines he was singing on top of it .only for that he has already my respect.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's strange that you should talk about his influence in the states... very little, if any. Noone out here really knows who he is. The equivilant to Mark King in Europe is Flea in the US. Different genres, but they made slap popular.
  10. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    In the early to mid 90's many of the bass players on the south side (Chicago) Gospel, R&B and Blues circuit knew his work quite well, knew his licks and quoted him quite freely which I always considered a compliment of the highest order.

For a while, in the shop I used to teach in, Mark King's "Dune Tune" and "43" had replaced Stanley Clarke's "School Days" as
    the standard wankery for people auditioning gear.
    Was kind of a nice. ;)
  11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    However, Mark King SPANKS Flea.... do the Brits win?
  12. peterjc

Nov 3, 2004
    i agree that they are very similar in their influence on young bassplayers .however I disagree that they both made slap popular. when flea came around(he had actualy the same impact in europe as in the US) slap had been already very popular all over the world and in my opinion it has never reached the same popularity in flea's time
  13. King may be faster etc. but Flea has killer feel.
  14. The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Mark King has the all time highest score in the game of machine gun slapping.
  15. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, apparently the pentatonic scale has cosmic energy... he feels something... his crack?
  16. peterjc

Nov 3, 2004
    I think we should give respect to both of them for making so many people pick up the bass (It wouldn't suprise me if both inspired more than all other bassplayer together)
    and who is the best? that very personal I would say

I am not a english speaker so I apologize for my spelling mistakes
  17. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Mark King is the best! You really can't argue with me about this. But I agree that he has inspired many to pick up the bass. Then again, so has FiElDy and Mark <3 Hoppus. Let's give them props too.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Despite any argument: Yes... Damn yes.

Though, I couldn't listen to Level 42 with any consistancy... maybe I haven't matured enough... :meh:
  19. Mark King is awesome. I have every L42 album. Thing is, recently, I realized though he has great playing skills, he had the NASTIEST tone, up until the latter years. Their last studio album, "Forever Now, he used Musicman Stingrays exclusively.