1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark King's tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mullet0909, Nov 9, 2006.

1. mullet0909

mullet0909

Oct 24, 2006
    Louisiana
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    A Status Kingbass Artist for a start!

Fresh strings are also an essential item. Looks like he was using Trace Elliot there, but his Ashdown head will also suffice (the only Ashdown product I like!).

So, all in all, a Status andd some Trace Elliot gear will be a good start!

Dave Neal likes this.
  3. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    His Status has a lot to do with his sound. If you get the chance to try one, they have a very 'hi-fi' sound, and very punchy. I heard a guy demoing one, and that was the sound.

A Status, a good clean amp, a low action, the Mark King touch and shiny blue LEDs!

Dave Neal likes this.
  4. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i think the most important parts of getting a tone like this are BRAND NEW light strings (i think Mark uses 35-95) and a real low action, i guess you could get a similar tone on a jazz but you wont have that real hi-fi tone that he is getting here but i think you would be in the right ball park.

if you listen to that clip especially what i would call "controlled" fret buzz is a big part of his tone as well, so maybe a fret stone on your bass would help you get that into your tone.

Dave

Dave Neal likes this.
  5. mullet0909

mullet0909

Oct 24, 2006
    Louisiana
    fret stone?

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

For old school (Jaydee days) MK tone, click here.

7. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    a fret stone is where you have youre frets filed so that they are all the same height allowing you to have a low action without buzz in certain places.

but your bass may not need it, i know mine did when i wanted to drop the action right down low. but it is not a definitive thing, you may be lucky

Dave

8. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    Overwater...

its creating havoc with my future bass plans!

9. mullet0909

mullet0909

Oct 24, 2006
    Louisiana
    thanks Gomez for the link. It was very helpful and i think its true what he says on there. That its not o much the guitar but thee settings. I already have low action on my bass but i lowered it more so that i have some fret buz, at least form the 11th or 12th fret and higher. This gave me a pretty similar sound. Also using the bridge pickup. i only have a 4 band eq though so that information didnt help much, so i just fooled around with my eq. by the way Gomez, thats my last name too.

10. The closest that I got to his sound, was a Status kingbass through an EBS HD350 and a couple of neo cabs.
    I'm not a big fan of his sound, but I know someone who is, and he's found the same thing, he uses an HD350 throiugh an EBS 2x10.

11. fretless Bob

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

not a chance :D

Dave

12. mullet0909

mullet0909

Oct 24, 2006
    Louisiana
    Do any of you know where i can find tabs for the solo before the song starts? i want to learn that.

13. Dave Neal

Dave Neal

Aug 22, 2015
    I get a very close sound using NYXL strings and engaging an Aphex 201 on my existing rig. I used to go the Trace route and the adjustable end ball strings he used but there is not a lot of guts to them. I would try the Aphex as when tweaked right will get really close. And a top notch set up ..low low low.