1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Mark Knopfler" technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Kawai-chang, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Hey all.

Just kind of monkeying around with this, but how about using the thumb and first 2 fingers in a "fingerstyle guitar" sense?

The best description is Knopfler's technique.

I'm noticing that I'm muting much better than when I just use the standard figerstyle technique. Seens cleaner, and just as fast.

Any opinions, input?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it works for you, go right ahead. Personally, I always thought the thumb sounded a bit weak compared to using your fingers, but there's no reason not to do it if it works for you.

3. I sometimes use a technique just like that. Works great. It takes me a little longer to get warmed up but playing chords is easy and you can play runs and scales pretty darn fast. I started with an Anthony Jackson like thumb and index pick style playing. Thumb down, finger up. Then added the middle. T, M, I or any combo. Now I can very them depending on the line without thinking about it. 2 notes per string= T, I. 3= T,I,M 4=T,I,M,R. It works great but takes time to develop.

4. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I don't know much about this...but wasn't Mark Knopfler a guitarist? If you are just saying that you're using his guitar technique on bass, then I completely understand.

5. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    I use thumb and two first finger to play my stuff.
    The thumb really have a different sound mfrom the other fingers (less bright) so if you try to keep the same tone at all notes then it's a hard thing to do when involving the thumb in the playing.

on the other hand using the thumb can really help making some bassline easier like fast funk or disco bassline as in the case of jamiroquai bassist for instanse who makes fast 1/16 lines moving in octaves.
    Despite this I still try to be able to play all I play with the thumb also without it (only to fingers) because of the tone reason I mentioned earlier.

6. studentaccount1

studentaccount1

Nov 14, 2006
    I like to alternate between those three fingers too. It allows for different muting and accents. Triplet feel is a lot easier too.

7. You are correct.
    His style seems to fit my physiology better then the "Fender" wrist.
    It also seems,...now this may sound kind of odd....that when I use this technique, I feel more "connected" and "musical" in my physical relation to the instrument.