1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass 121P experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XephonXIII, Sep 28, 2008.

1. XephonXIII

XephonXIII

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've pretty much decided on picking up a Markbass Mini CMD 121P later this week. :hyper:
    As far as portability, power, tone, and budget go, it's exactly what I'm looking for. I've read tons of reviews and tried them out at a few locations, but I'm still curious about its long-term reliability. Does anyone here have this amp? Have you had any problems with it?

2. I've had this combo since May. No complaints, it's excellent!

3. XephonXIII

XephonXIII

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Awesome! Thanks. In that case, I'll definitely pick it up.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Dude, just realize what it is. Great for coffee houses, singer/songwriter stuff, but if you're looking to blow walls down, and compete with Marshall stacks you might want to re-consider. I've tried in store and definitely thought it was a nice unit. Its just a matter how much volume *you* need.

Now if you pair that up with an extension 112 etc... you're golden. :cool:

5. Use mine with the 1x 12 extention cab and never had a problem with volume.
    Sound wise it absolutely kicks a$$.

Markbass.

6. XephonXIII

XephonXIII

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweet! That's basically how I'll be using it. For all of my bigger gigs, I would just take the line out to the board and run it as more of a monitor. I've already been looking into the 112 extension, and I think I'll pick up one of those in the next few weeks as well. 500 watts...*facemelt*

Slaine01, I LOVE your rig!! I've seen those tilt stands on their site...did that come with the combo or extension, or did you have to get it separately?

7. Bought it separately - fairly cheap and strong enough to use with a 4x10 cab and amp as well. (also get the guitar holder velcro thing as well - it works awesomely!! and stops idiots wandering onstage and knocking over your bass - hey wheres my sponsorship Markbass!!! hee hee )
    It is soooo light as a rig - you'll love it.
    The tiltback stand has velcro on it so the combo wont slip - sweeeeeeet!

8. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    I have to differ a little... I bought mine about two months ago, and after about a week something inside the amp started to resonate. I contacted Markbass for this, it took them 3 weeks to reply, which is waaay too long. And all they said is that they've never heard of this problem before and gave the contact information for the local retailer. Funny thing, i remember reading a post of someone having the exact same problem with the 121P and he had contacted them...

Plus, the tweeter in the combo can be a little frustrating, it hisses a lot especially if you use the VPF. IMO it should be taken out entirely, or a switch should be added to turn it off.. Good thing there's the VLE filter which i think is basically designed as an attenuator for the tweeter. Of course, i can't think of any use for the VPF, so this is not a big problem.

But the buzz/resonance is a huge problem, and i'm still waiting for the retailer to pick up the amp to a tech... it's now been 3 weeks since they promised to pick it up. :mad::mad::mad: Could (probably) fix it myself but i don't want to void the warranty.

I'd pay a bit mor for the 121H, maybe.

9. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    dtune,

can you provide a little more detail? did you buy the amp new or used? how/how much was it used during the week before it started resonating? thanks

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've had my 121P for about 6 months. Yes, using it on top of
    another box is killer. There have been more than a few times
    when I've brought this combo when I really should have
    brought a bigger box. One time, on a non carpeted stage, I
    was pushing the combo so hard, it was vibrating around.
    Yes, it was moving. But it got me throught the gig just fine.
    I've had no issues at all. Just a pain to get at the back of the
    amp for the DI out.

11. XephonXIII

XephonXIII

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Got it!

I'm about to bring it to its first rehearsal. So far, the volume is a bit more than I expected, but so is the tweeter hiss. We'll see, but I don't think it will make all that much of a difference.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I just hope mine doesn't end up with any problems like dTune's unit...*fingers crossed*.

100_1206.
    100_1207.

12. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    please give us your impressions when you return! thanks

13. XephonXIII

XephonXIII

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey again,

Overall, I'm very pleased. The rehearsal was at a local church where I normally run a SansAmp Bass Driver pedal into the board. The Markbass improved pretty much every aspect of my bass, including:

- No more hiss/noise coming through the monitors. I'm not sure why my SansAmp ever put out any kind of hiss or noise, especially since I bypass the majority of it, but the Markbass' line out was SILENT...I mean, absolutely no noticeable noise whatsoever.

- Clean tone. There was loads of low end from both the line out and the combo, and all of it was extremely punchy and clear.

- Projection. It definitely helps that the combo is voiced toward the mids, but I never expected anything like this. The sound guy couldn't tell much difference in volume when he was on the edge of the stage and at the back of the room.

My only concern going in was the tweeter. The hiss seemed really apparent in my bedroom, but it wasn't at all noticeable on stage.

So far, it's exceeded my expectations. It will definitely be at this church every Sunday. I have a few mid-sized gigs coming up with no PA, but I think this will be fine. I was able to use it as a stage monitor with the volume just a hair past one, so it should be a piece of cake accompanying a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. and a drum set.

Thanks for your opinions! You really helped out...especially the amazing pics of Slaine01's rig. :D I'll just need to be extra careful so nothing goes wrong internally.

14. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    XephonXIII,

thanks for the mini-review. sounds like a nice little amp. is the hiss you noticed at home affected if you turn the filter knobs?

thanks

15. XephonXIII

XephonXIII

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah, actually. I know the VLE filter isn't necessarily a tweeter attenuator, but the hiss nearly disappears when it's maxed. It also slightly drops as I start to turn the treble down, but the VLE has the biggest effect on it.

Also, I've noticed that the hiss is very directional. If I'm standing at a slight angle from the cab, I can't hear it at all. It's only apparent if I'm facing the piezo head-on.

It's worth noting that the hiss isn't anything like the horrible buzzing that came from my Ampeg BA-115's piezo. I ended up reaching in and clipping the tweeter wires due to the sounds coming from that abomination. I didn't expect any hiss at all from the Markbass, but looking back, it's definitely pretty minimal compared to the other piezo-equipped amps I've owned.

16. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    thanks XephonXIII. i guess i'll find out more tomorrow. my own new cmd121p is supposed to arrive!

17. XephonXIII

XephonXIII

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweet! I think you'll enjoy it a lot. Whenever I imagine how odd it would look to stand on stage next to a tiny 112, I just give it a lift and remember how heavy my Hartke stack was. =]

18. I've had mine since May and have been very happy with it. I've read about the hiss and harshness in the tweeter but have not experienced it myself. I use an old pbass and set the VLE a 2 o'clock and the VLP at 10 oclock and the eq flat. Maybe the passive pick up helps. Dunno ... but it still sounds great.

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I have one. I love it. My bet is that you will love it, too.

I've had it about 15 months and it has seen a number of gigs. It's holding up great, but I'm also very careful with my stuff. I did get a padded cover for it.

I don't get any more hiss form this than any other amp, and less than most, BTW.

Have fun with yours!

20. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    I bought it new, so the amp had not been used much. I played two gigs and a couple of reheasals with it during the first week, and the amp was used for monitoring purposes only on the gigs, so the volume can not have been an issue. And naturally when you have a week-old amp you don't throw it around very much, so basically the problem is a manufacturing issue.

The buzz usually stops now when the amp warms up a bit, but still, it shouldn't buzz at all.