1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass distribution in the USA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by countrybassman, Apr 15, 2010.

1. I recently went to guitar center and tried out some of the new markbass amps. They really sound awesome. I am really wanting to purchase one ( maybe the LM Tube 800). Then I called up one of my local music stores that used to carry the Markbass line to see what they might have in stock. To my surprise, they told me that markbass products are now sold exclusivly by Guitar Center and since that happened the markbass amps are not made as well as the the older ones . Made with cheaper components and do not last as long as the older models.(gee, if the old Markbass II amps were so great, why did they discontinue to make them?) Has anyone heard this news before? I am not sure if I want to purchase one now...Please comment.....thanks

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Musician's Friend and Music123 (same company) both sell Markbass.

And let's see...local music store who *doesn't* carry Markbass criticizes the amps. I suppose he had some other brand that he thought was better? Luckily music store employees never talk down stuff they don't have...

3. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I thought MarkBass was always sold exclusively through Guitar Center and its other Guitar Center owned companies in the United States.

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Markbass has had an exclusive agreement with GC/MF/M123 (same parent company) for quite a few years I believe. As far as quality differences, Where did I put that can opener?

5. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Stupid bastards... Way to get the rumors going, right? I thought they were always @ GC exclusively, anyway...

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yes, since MB hit the US shores, they've always been exclusive through Guitar Center/MF/et al. GC corporate doesn't own or run MarkBass, and its conjecture that they're not as well made. Is it possible? Yes, but probably due to the fact that demand went waaay up and production had to follow suit to match. I would think that at this point its water under the bridge and that Marco has solid production along with QC.

I bought one of the early LMII's, the first Markbass anything that was sold at the local GC. I had to convince them over and over that I wasn't talking about a piece of drum gear and I actually found it in their computer system for them. When it came in and I opened the box to check it out, they ALL gathered around and agreed that they'd never seen an amp like it before.

7. I would suggest not doing business with a store like that. That's really cheezy.

The LMII's where not discontinued, they were updated to the .... LMIII:smug:

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Sounds like typical music store lies to me: If we don't have it, it's junk -- here, buy THIS...

NEVER listen to floor help in stores about this stuff.

Write MarkBass and ask. If it's true, they won't answer. If it's not true, they will give you a pretty vigorous and detailed explanation of why it's not, as reputation matters.

9. Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I did get some bad info from my local store. I am going to check a few more Markbass models before I buy. They do sound fantastic. Thanks so much for your knowledge on this....:hyper:

10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    LMTube rocks. I can find nothing with it that I'd change.

11. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    You got some good info too--that the guy at the local store is a liar. Good thing to know...

12. there is so many models to choose from.......I :confused:hate making decisions

13. Yes, I think your right!:eyebrow:

14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Maybe it's just me...but if a brand is sold only by GC/MF/Music123, there may better brands out there. Me, I have a Fender Bassman and a Mesa/Boogie, and I don't expect to trade them in for GC's house brand any time soon.

15. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    House brand? Ridiculous... It's not a matter of that, at all. It's a matter of economic feasibility for MarkBass and corporate bullying by GC. MarkBass can't afford NOT to sell through Guitar Center, at this point anyway. Guitar Center gets away with this crap, because their ability to get a product out there is second to none. GC says "okay, we'll sell MarkBass, but only if we can do it exclusively". MarkBass weighs the options, realizes it will take 5,000 mom and pop dealers to even scratch the surface, and goes with the easiest option. It has nothing to do with "house brand".

Your Mesa Boogie isn't all that, pal. I've used them. House brand, he says...

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    acoustic is gc's house brand, not markbass.

17. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Being a LM-II owner I'd say that Markbass gear is amazing. It's a really well-built product that can easily compete with other like-priced or like-featured amps out there. Don't let the fact that they're exclusively sold through Guitar Center / Music 123 / Musicians Friend discourage you from trying one out at a local store or through someone local to you.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I don't own anything Markbass and I don't really care if somebody rants or raves about them. What you were talking to there (notice I didn't say "who" as that would put them in a category of humans equal to you and me) is a salesman, or nowdays I guess you'd say salesperson for fear of getting sued or arrested.

They no nothing of their product, they only know how to sell stuff. Doesn't matter if you're talking bass amps, cars, toasters or shoes. If you came in there looking for a waffle iron that they didn't carry, he'd tell you that particular waffle iron is now the house brand of waffle house and quality has really gone downhill since then and you should buy this better waffle iron from him.:)

19. Just make sure to buy the longest extened warranty, as they are proving expensive to repair in their network and no support outside of their network.

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Don't make sweeping gestures like that. :mad: That may be so in a lot of places, but there really are helpful, knowledgeable sales people out there. You just have to find the good ones and hope that they stick around.