1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass F1 coming...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've got a MarkBass F1 coming.
    Whilst I wait out the Brown Truck, I'd enjoy reading whatever you F1 users would care to share!

thx-alan

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I recently got one myself. I'm definitely enjoying it. I've had an LMII for just over a year now, and was looking for a slightly more aggressive tone, but with the same general character as the LMII. I believe I've achieved that.

3. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    It's the only SS amp I own. I wanted at least one amp that I could carry easily :D
    I've been pretty happy with it thus far. It and a berg HT112ER make a great sounding little rig. I usually put a VT Bass pedal in front of it to Ampeg it up and it sounds great. A sadowsky into it sans pedal is a very good sound as well.
    My next lightest amp weighs +/- 50lbs more, so it's been a great addition. It still kills me to load it into the pocket of a Portabag and go.

4. One of my favorite amp heads of all time, period. The description of 'an LMII with a bit more punch and aggressive tone' is right on.

With the two cabs we share in common, I run it virtually flat with the 410UL, except for a slight cut in the upper mids (maybe 11 o'clock). With the AE410, a slightly bigger cut in the upper mids ((maybe 10 o'clock) and the VPF on around 9 o'clock or so to spread that cab out just a touch more in the deep bass and upper treble. Nice!!!!

I'm not sure you will dig it with DB, since you didn't particularly like the LMII, but with EB, it is SMOKING IMO!

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Thx Ken...I've pretty well resigned myself to Walkabout or TFB550 for DB...but I've talked to several guys over in DB that like the F! lots...so, maybe...

6. I love my F1, Got it shortly after they came out (seems like a year ago, so it must be close to 2)
    It is loud and clear. In every sense of both words. Just what I wanted anyway. No reliability problems, and a beautiful clear clean sound.
    Personally, I have no use at all for the VLE and VPF knobs, but this does let you play a bit with your tone.
    Mind you, the only other equipment I ever owned was Fender, and then SWR (now you know I'm an old f**t.)
    Still, I have played a lot through a Shuttle and I really don't care for the tube preamp, although the difference is small.
    Enjoy it.
    Your back thanks you too... :D

7. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    My F-1 has replaced my AI Clarus as my main Jazz amp. Very dreamy with my Clement fretless 5er. It also makes an excellent back up head for my Rock band sitch. Some day tempted to take it as the one and only for that as well.:hyper:

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    This is exactly as I'm running mine. So far, so good! :)

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I just returned mine to GC. It just didn't float my boat. :meh:

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Since we are talking about the F1 in here I pose this questions here as well. I believe this was mentioned before, but I'm just looking to confirm it. The F1 has the same preamp as the LMII right? The only difference between them is the type of power amps?

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Smart move! :)

I had a LM II for a little over a year and it was a great amp, I really wanted an F1 but they were not being imported at the time I bought the LM II. I got my F1 at the end of '08 and compared the two amps before selling the LM II; to me they were virtually identical soundwise, but of course I saved weight and size with the F1. It is an awesome amp that you will love, for sure.
    :hyper:

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    How does its sound compare to the sound you are trying to achieve? Where did it fall short? As a benchmark, which other amps come closest to providing the sound you're looking for?

13. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Briefly comparing the LMII and the F1 at GC, I thought the F1 was the more aggresive of the two.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have several amps already so that could have a lot to do with it. I have the following: GK 1001RB-II, iAmp500, Shuttle 6.0, NeoPak 3.5, Walkabout Scout and a few others. It didn't do anything that one of these can't do so I just couldn't justify keeping it around (not that I can justify any of the others either).

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the heads-up, Freddels. I'm always trying to establish a frame of reference with which I can attempt to "compare" gear I haven't heard with gear I've owned or used.

My amp touchstones are the Carvin B1500 and iAmp800; I'm curious to know how the Carbine amps compare to them.

16. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    I too have a F1 on the way. I can't wait.

17. I too love my F1,

the only problem I have with it, I wish the low mid EQ was closer to 250Hz
    and the low EQ around 60Hz

one day in the distant future I predict I will own an F500

18. I use my F1 limited ed. with a pair of BFM Omni 10.5

And when I need more warmth to the sound of F1 + 2 Omni 10.5s, I step on DHA VT1 Std Bass.

Sometimes F1 + 2 Omni 10.5s combination is too clear & present to my ears...

Kind of hybrid setup. I think :D

19. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    i play fast, agressive metal. i have an F1 and a Bergantino Nv610.

volume wise, it can't touch my titan.

the tone is great,.

the problem i have is that i can get enough volume ( band is one drummer, fairly loud, one halfstack)

i re-EQ'd it and i have to push it to get loud enough. its not what i'd like, but i'm using it.
    i'm dying to trade the F1 for an SD800....or another Mesa BB750.

20. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I've had my F1 for a while now. And I couldn't be more happy:) It gives me what I want tone wise, and will fit in the pocket of my Road Runner gig bag:) I have found that it does NOT like bad power. It shut down on me at a gig once because the rooms power was all jacked up due to remodeling. I bought the ears and plan to rack it with a good power conditioner and see what happens next time I play there. Oh and just to ease your mind, My key board player and guitarist had the same problems that night, so it wasn't only the F1. The F1 sounds great with my GS112's Acme B2 and 1580:)