1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass: Read the Manual!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I bought a Markbass CMP121P back in May, 2008, and I truly love it, but I just found out Wednesday that I had properly used my VLE and VPF filters when I was a/b'ing my amp against a Genz Benz Shuttle.

Looking back, I didn't get the best tone out of my old 55-02 or American Jazz Deluxe V because of I did not truly understand how to work my amps' tone controls. At least I am now getting the max out of my AMerican Standard Jazz V and my modded MTD Kingston.:)

The lesson learned is really know yur gear before you makes assumptions about what is working for you.:oops:

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    What were you doing wrong with the filters?

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The VPF is a reverse passive tone control, and I always had it flat, which meant that I never got the true sizzle I like for funk or gospel. THe VLE is a contour, and it works best to my ears when it is just barely on, at maybe 7 or 8 o'clock.

I turned the VPF off totally, and the sound totally opened up! I can now get a true Marcus sort of vibe with my Jazz and now my Sadowsky preamp really sings!:D My modded Kingston slams like an incredibly gnarly SR5. It's like I went out and bought a whole new set of gear.:cool:

4. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    I thought the VLE (vintage loudspeaker emulator) was the tone control and the VPF (variable preshape filter) was the contour...

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Like I said, read the manual!:D

6. Actually, The VLE is the high end roll off filter, and the VPF is the mid scoop filter, I think you mixed the names up.

7. so you ran your rig for 10 months without looking at the manual???

and why didn't you try all the combinations, anyway, by then?

and you ditched two basses because you thought they weren't working for you and you never suspected your rig?

that's pretty incredible...

it's a good thing you found this out, else I would have had to take your Kingston off your hands ;)

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In all honesty, I probably would have sold some stuff any way, but no, I didn't read the manual. I admit that is a quirk of mine, I rarely read manuals.

9. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I did. The VLE reduces highs as you turn up the control. The VPF gives you more contour (more smilely-face) as you turn up the control.

But you don't need the manual to figure that out. Just your ears!

- Greg

10. And "Flat" for these two controls is completely counterclockwise. A lot of people go 12 o'clock with them and think it is flat.

I really like the VLE (in moderation). It is like a much more musical sounding tone knob. The VPF though doesn't sit well with me.. I just feel like I am throwing a blanket over everything.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. The VLE is the best thing about Markbass amps. The VPF...meh.

12. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    The VPF is cool.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Didn't notice the smiley face? I was making fun at myself.:smug:

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That's because you're a man. You don't need to read manuals. :D

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Most questions about gear I see on forums easily find their answer in the manual.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    And yet when you repeat the answers to people who asked, they alternately act like you are lying to them, or are some super genius just on sabbatical from Lawrence Livermore! ; }

17. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    my opinion is both of these filters need to be used in the smallest amounts.. I find the less they are used, the more the amp opens up.. I read the manual..

18. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I think the VLE is the ultimate control knob. With my LMII (hooked to a Mark Bass Traveler 2x10 cabinet), the Low, Mid Low, Mid High and High controls are set to flat, and I have the VPE in the off position. I put the VPE at about 10 o'clock which coupled with my Steinberger Synapse 5-string (Status nylon coated round wound strings, active bass eq settings flat) gives me the modern blues sound I crave when I play with my rock'n blues trio or with my classical jazz quartet. I have tried numerous other settings, and I always fall back to the above.

19. I read the manual of my LMII, and then sold 4 basses as a result...

" The Markbass circuitry is designed specifically not to color the sound, but to faithfully reproduce the unique tonal qualities of whatever instrument is played through it... "

The basses sounded like a**... they had to go... Good reason to buy another Musicman. :)

20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I love those filters. Very simple and a little goes a long way. I usually leave the head flat except for backing off the bass a tad, then use the filters for some subtle variation, depending on what the cover calls for.