1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Married/Living Together Couples - Who makes more?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Aug 15, 2012.

Who makes more in your household?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2012.
  1. Male

28 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Female

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Single Income

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Carrots

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Not necessary how much but who makes more? I ask cause I wonder if men are still mostly taking home the bacon. That and I'm just curious about everything.
    In my household my girlfriend is the larger income earner by about a 6:4 margin. Not that I really mind in my preivous relationships I've made more by a vast margin usually 85% or more.
    Its nice though being with someone who has a good job. Though sometimes I feel a bit inadequate, but at the end of the day the bills get paid.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My wife makes more than me. No big deal in my mind.

-Mike

3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Yep. Another kept man right here.

4. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Meh, does it matter?

5. Yet another here. My wife started a new job 6 months ago, kicking her income up over mine.
    We've got so much debt, it will take many years before we get to enjoy the extra cash though...

I've joked with her since the beginning of our relationship about fulfilling my lifelong dream of becoming a house husband. I'm starting to train hard for it now, because if she keeps it up, it might actually happen :)

6. I make more, not a big deal either way, but my wife is going to stay home with kids for a while, so it is nice that way.

lowsound

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I have always made more, but with my wife's new job, she will soon make several times more than I do.

It's all good.

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I am the only one that makes money, my wife stays at home taking care of the kids and house.

9. I make quite a bit more than Steph, but if she could find a job here in her field, she'd *bury* my salary!

10. I do on a more steady basis but, she sells homes for a living so she has come close in past years

11. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    I make JUST a tiny bit more - but her job has more income growth potential, and she is currently massively underpaid. So I don't suspect that will last.

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My wife makes twice as much as I do.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Married. When we lived in NY, my wife was making WAY more than me. Since we relocated, I'm the top bread winner but I'm making just slightly more than I was making in NY.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm a teacher, she's a doctor.

You do the math.

bc

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Don't forget fence builder. That will bump you up to doctor range when combined with teaching....teaching how to build fences. :D

-Mike

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If this was a forum full of drummers, this would be an incredibly stupid question.......

I'm kinda curious as to the bassist answer though.

I do OK. Not great, but OK. My wife is an HR professional. For her field, she does OK, but she has a lot more potential than I do income wise.

17. I'm a PhD student and the lady is a Veterinary Nurse. She earns more than I do at the moment, but I should have the higher earning potential, we both have work we enjoy and don't have to worry tooooo much about bills. So, that's what matters at the moment :) .

18. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Before the economy tanked, my wife was making about half as me working part time. Now I make roughly 6 times more than her.

19. I usually make a little bit more than my wife does; these days, with her on disability, I am pretty much the breadwinner

20. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    The situation has changed with the crappy economic times over the last 4+ years.
    2008 - I made more but both employed full time
    2009 - I was unemployed/part-time and she made more
    2010 - I found a new job but she made more
    2011 - She was unemployed and I made more
    2012 - I'm making more but both employed full time.
    I'm sure there are lots of people out there with similar stories.