1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MARS VOLTA!!!! WOW!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by palm grease, Sep 19, 2008.

1. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    Saw em at the Hammerstein on wed night!

What a HUGE show! Juan's tone, attack and accuracy were perfect! The guy is a MONSTER!

I've read claims that their live sound is...well....horrible. Not the case here! Awesome mix!

Pridgen (new drummer) is insane!!!!!!!!!

It was a 3.5 hr show, they cover their new material, some old.... and tons of improv! Dare I say FUNKY!!!!!!!

Killer show, catch em if ya can!

2. CuticleThorns

CuticleThorns

Apr 6, 2008
    York, UK
    ooh OK! I'm gonna go SEARCH for them now :eyebrow:

3. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    dont get your point.... but the hairy eye looks good on ya!

this is a short review of their show... Juan being the main attraction for me. he played very well!

thx

edit.... oh you were telling me to do a search!!!??? thats very cute of you, thx!

4. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    im going to see them on wednesday
    cant wait

5. corradoc

corradoc

Dec 20, 2007
    New York City
    I was at that show too - very cool. Their new drummer is insane, but at some point I would've liked to see him chill out and lay it down. The whole night was like one long drum solo - albeit an amazing one.

Juan was killer! He holds that group together live, and I think without him, they'd just be a mess. And yes, his tone was pretty sick!!!

I will say that, just like anytime I've seen TMV, the vocals could be turned down.....

6. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Mars volta, good band but they seem to "experiment" a lot with music, I would say way to much :rolleyes:

7. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    I can agree 100%!....but that drummer is a clock, man!

all in all more good than bad!

the singer....well he fits the profile, so to speak! hahaha

BassIsFun17- I think you'll be quite pleased! (great Avatar BTW!... Blade Catcher is a master work!)

8. i miss john theodore!!!!!

IMO, he is more musical and leaves space in the music... space is good!!!! Pridgen just likes to show off way too much and the music just ends up too messy...

but it was a great show, pity i only recently got into them.. would of love to see them live with theodore.

9. giovabass

giovabass

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think it was a playful way to say "you forgot to post a link about them"... :)
    I am curious about them too! :bassist:

10. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    I just saw Mars Volta for the 2nd time on Friday at ACL. This was the second time I've seen them this year. Both times I left thinking "That was the greatest show I've ever been to." Juan is truly a beast, such great tone and musicianship. He really allows the rest of the band to lock in more easily with Prigden. And the breakdowns and effects were so trippy and amazing. The joints before the show helped as well :D

11. I really like Mars, but I think that the new album is poorly mixed...

12. kynoch

kynoch

Jun 28, 2006
    I saw them in Madrid February....killer show....I think that was about 3+ hours...great band...great bassist looking forward to hopefully hear more from them soon.

13. Aint seen em live..... not many bands come here!!-( nxt time they're in OZ, I Will!!!

14. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Oh c'mon there's thousands of other bands if you want non-expermentation and time-proven formulas. :D

As for the live sound. Everything I've heard suggests that it suffers mostly when they are supporting a band (which was true when I saw them).

I've always wanted to see them headline.

15. palmaruslongus

palmaruslongus

Nov 11, 2007
    AZ
    Saw em tonight in Phoenix, great show, lots of intensity, great bass sound and lots of effects. He's got 2 huge pedal boards. Disappointed with the set length, 80 minutes maybe. Omar is a master too but that is for another forum...

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That's exactly right. I like The Mars Volta but I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan. But I have seen them twice. Once they opened for RHCP and it was literally one of the worst performances I've ever heard/seen. Boomy, mushy sound, no energy from them and even less from the crowd.

Then I saw them headline in a much smaller club (and one known for good sound anyway) and it was a killer show.

17. They Just played at the Austin City Limits Music festival and reviews were good.

18. Excatly my experience. And I don't know their music enough to appreciate or recognize what was booming out in the arena. IMO they might be more suited for smaller halls. Experimental music can get lost in big rooms.

19. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I don't know, when I saw them open up for SOAD (supporting Francis) I thought the sound was enhanced by the fact that I saw them in an arena. I could still hear everything (we had really nice seats) but the reverb of the DCU center just made it over the top, in the best way possible. It was like hearing the music explode out from the stage into this massive cavern. But it wasn't muddy at all, just expansive.

20. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Sounds great!

I honestly believe that The Mars Volta is the greatest act that sprung up after the year 2000.

I wish they would come here! :bawl: