1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marshall MB combo line

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by raslroy, Aug 15, 2012.

1. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    I need a combo and my choices are marshall mb, fender rumble, or ibanez sw.

I do not like fender ss amps. not really too interested in the ibanez. Leaving me with this interesting marshall mb line.

Info/reviews on the mb150 are slim, same with the mb60...

so any reason to stay away from the marshall mb line?

I usually prefer 15s so naturally i am leaning towards mb150 but i really dont need all the volume that goes with it & my body isn't looking forward to transporting that size of amp.

Will a 12" in the mb60 give me any more lows compared to a 10"?

appreciate the help

:help::bassist:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What is your intended purpose of this amp? knowing that will help get better answers. otherwise, you're looking at Marshall's entry level bass combo's. They are as good as anyone else's entry level gear, and a matter of personal preference tonally.

3. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    practice mostly & an ability to handle an occasional small gig

do they put decent speakers in these?

how is the durability? ever had to service anything?

4. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    Anyone have one of the marshall combos?
    Reliable? Speakers alright?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Like I said earlier, they are entry level combo's. nothing very special. If you plan to gig, I'd be looking at used heads and cabs. You can get much better gear buying used.

6. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    Well thanks but like i said before these are the only amps available. Cant find anything used in the city of Jerusalem.

I ask again does anyone on talkbass know about marshall mb combos? I would like to know how they compare to other similar combos.
    Durability?
    Reliability?
    Speaker capabilities?

7. I love the sound I I get out of my Fender Rumble combo for some reason. What styles of music are you currently playing?

8. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Go with a Peavey combo they are better than all the above listed, I have had a TNT 115 for a long time and it sounds great.

9. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    No peavy dealers around these parts. Really was not impressed with the rumble 75 i tried at the store. I love muddy bass with some grit. I play all styles. I want the Marshall just never heard any opinions on them. It has a tube preamp in the mb60 with 12", 2 channels w/foot switch.

So anyone have any opinions on the marshall's upper mb combo line?

10. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    my mini review-
    I bought the MB60 and I am extremely impressed with it. the Modern/Clean channel is great and I am getting nice funk tones from it. Classic/Dirt channel gives me that great tubey dirty mud I seek & thanks to the voice shift you can tailor your sound to exactly what you prefer. Very happy. However I can not speak of the durability/reliability of the combo at this time. Nice work Marshall!

11. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    i have the mb150
    its pretty good.if you playing rock or metal its fantastic.the 15" gives you full lows.i playing it with 5-string fretless and 5-string freted.its good for the price it has.with 2 chanels and many opinions.but asx i told you its about what sound you looking for.all have to do with this.your style,your bass,all

12. greencow

greencow

Feb 7, 2008
    I owned a MB4210 for a long time.

Reliability wise:
    One of the coils in the crossover was badly secured and vibrated loose from the board.

The amp started overheating at some point and I never got to the cause of the problem, ended up selling it.

If you are going to use the thing for band practice, get atleast the 150. I would like to point out that the amplifier is more then capable of blowing the 15" speaker or the 2x10" speakers, if you try to get to much out of them.
    (This will be the same with every brand in this price range)

13. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    Still loving mine, no issues. I use it for Motown sounds & roots reggae. I really dont understand why these dont get more attention. My favorite non-vintage combo ive played in 15yrs.
    However as greencow mentions I wont be surprised if I blow the 12 one day.

edit- It is bulky tho...