Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall VBA 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu, Mar 5, 2005.

1. I have this Marshall beast with two 4x12 VBC cabs. I love it and love the tone and grunt that I can get, playing Cream. Hendrix Zeppelin etc. It suits me, but I was wondering if anyone else who has this amp / set up has been able to turn the volume above number 3 ? It shakes walls and rattles windows at anything much above that.. but I love it. I know it sounds like an over the top set up but I've waited many years to have an amp like this.

Also the rest of the band, drums & lead know not to mess with me, upset me or even complain about me ! Ha ! :hyper:

Stay Cool guys

Stu

2. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Could you post a soundclip of it? I've been very interested in hearing one but no music store seems to carry one to try. BTW: How much does it weigh?

3. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow

I own a vba 400, if you want to hear it go to http://www.amreilly.dsl.pipex.com/sounds.html click sounds and listen to a short mp3 . I am using a spector rex pro series through a Tech 21 bass compactor into the vba 400 which drives a 1x15 mesa boogie . Get out the tin helmet! :bassist:

4. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Great track. I liked how it sounded about 42-43 seconds in most especially since I could hear the bass then! :D

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Only to 3, huh? How does the overdrive (if any) sound at that point? Can you get sustain and feedback? (for me to get that on my 100 watt Sunn sceptre I have to DIME the thing, and the sustain and feedback only comes on good days)

6. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    Iam glad you liked the track ,as you can hear the vba 400 is great for rock and metal sounds . I forgot to tell you that the head weighs in at about 30 -32kg so its no lightweight but the handles come in handy when lugging about. :)

7. Greetings to The Ox !
    Hey brother love your tone on the Pinball Wizard clip ! I set the gain on my amp to about 2 o'clock and then it just starts to get edgy, the sustain is enourmous for feedback I have to go a little louder and of course if I knock up the gain a bit more i can have your tone too ! and If i use a pec... Oh My God ! Ha Ha I love my amp

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hehe your amp seems more like a stadium amp though, i'm just messin around at home for now. Thanks for the info, though.

9. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow

WICKED GROWL !! From your sound clips and a fine interpretation of the tracks .
    I keep the gain on my vba400 at 5 and depending on how hard i play i can get some deep grunts and a lot of attack from the amp without any overdrive aids. :)

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    *JEALOUS!!!*

11. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Funny I see thread on the VBA400 as I was just looking for info on this Marshall Head !!!!

The head seems powerful and appears to offer lots of grint to the Tone that would make any Bass growl !!!

These heads are hard to find in Canada and would love to try them with my Rick !!!!

12. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow

if it was a sunn coliseum i would be jealous ,i will stick to the vba 400 thanx :p

13. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Aloha from Hawaii...

Wow! I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I have a VBA400 on order, but I'm waiting on my guy, Dan, of Dan's Guitars, to make the "minimum" dollar amout to his Marshall distributor so I won't have to pay incoming freight charges. As "SubForum" states, this beast weighs-in at about 32 kg, which is around 78 pounds to us Yanks, so saving on shipping charges to Honolulu is definitely called for here.

"wm1724" is right... I can say for sure no music store on my island of Oahu has a VBA400 in stock, and I am disappointed, as I was unable access the link that "SubForum" offered in order to get an audio sample. Oh well, I remain anxious to receive my long-awaited amplifier (it's been a month thus far...). I'm relying on the reputation of the brand, as well as the numerous positive comments I've picked-up on right here in TB.

Currently I'm playing a Fender Stu Hamm Urge-II. My amp is another rather fine Brit head: Ashdown ABM500 Evo-II. I have the rackmount version, and I'm also blowing this through a Bergantino NV215. I plan on pairing up Bergantino's NV610 with my NV215, and plugging both cabinets into the back of the VBA400. Since these Bergies are both 4 Ohm, I'll be working that Marshall head at 2 Ohm, which I imagine would be someting like driving a Mercedes CL65 at full-throttle down the Autobahn... maybe I'm stretching it a bit here... but I'm thinking I'll be the baddest thumper on my island! I'm fairly confident that I'll at least be the only bassist on Oahu with a VBA400 and Bergantino speaker cabinets.

I truly appreciate some of you guys sharing your settings in your posts. I'm really anxious to get my hands on my VBA400 so I can start "experimenting." Now to make some of you guys real jealous: For my daytime job I'm a wholesale distributor, and I have a 10,000 sq.ft. warehouse where me and the band hold our practice sessions. I should be able to find out what this Marshall beast can do beyond "3"... :smug:

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You'd better take it all the way to 11...

15. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    :D That's a good one! I do remember those Marshall guitar heads from the 60's and 70's that went to ELEVEN! I guess they figure eleven is way too loud now days... :p

16. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    http://www.amreilly.dsl.pipex.com/sounds.html
    try the link now my amigo we changed server and no one told me !!
    its my vba 400 cranked up in the studio . I hope you enjoy your Monster Marshall as much as i do . :hyper:

17. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    nice tone you got there dude...!
    did you record direct to mixer as well as miked?

18. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    yes i went direct into the desk from the amps DI and put a mike on the outer rim of the speaker then layered it up in the mix

19. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i have a question about doing the above - is it necessary to delay/speed-up (wateva its called) the signal coming from the mike when you play live? will it make much difference? i'm sure it'll sound heaps more thicker if i go direct and miked, but at wat cost?

20. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    I only D I when i play live and use my amp as a backline monitor so i can crank it up .The signal goes straight through th PA via a post D I button on the front of the amp so when i run my compressor through the effects loop i still get the same signal with the compression. In the studio i just use two tracks one with the D I and the other with the mike then mix them. I dont do it live because i got all the volume i need to get the bass out there