Massive dissapointment

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WillBuckingham, May 13, 2005.

1. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I auditioned and was invited to play with a funk band from New Orleans (Soda Popinski) for their summer tour a couple weeks ago. I was really excited. We were to play 4-5 gigs a week at $500 per gig in Louisiana, Texas, Colorado, and Missouri. Tonite I found out that our booking agent had been lying to us and that we had no scheduled gigs, after two weeks of serious practice and rehearsal. This was the biggest professional oppurtunity I've ever had, as well as the biggest dissapointment. The guitarist and drummer dropped out when they heard the news. So I'm going home to New York to woodshed, oh well. Anyone had similar experiences?
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Aaaahh-eee... That sucks, Will.

Wishing you the best,

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    In this case, I think violence is the answer. You and your bandmates need to hold prayer with the booking agent.
  4. Find another booking agent and try not to cause him bodily harm.
  5. Is there any legal recourse? Because that is really, really low of that agent.
  6. SOunds like there may have been come communication issues? Or was the agent just out and out lying, stringing you guys along? If so, there may possibly be legal action your band could take (not that I'm a legal expert)...but it sounds like you've already made up your mind to leave the area (which is totally up to you and understandable).
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Q: when you see a dead body in the road how do you know if it's an agent?

A: if it's an agent there will be no skid marks :D
  8. Check the agents "drawers"..... I guarantee you there's skid marks in there somewhere... maybe not in the road...

9. DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    I had a somewhat similar experience...

We were asked to open up for George Clinton & P-funk Allstars at an Arena show just outside Boston. The promoter ensured me that the show was a go. We had a CD release party scheduled for a few weeks before that was going to have a ton of press and fans there. I called the promoter the day of the show and let him know that we wanted to announce the GC show that night and was he POSITIVE it was going on. He said Yes, we could announce it.

Well, 2 weeks later he calls me and says that he had to cancel it because his investors backed out. He was also going to get sued by GC's people for breach of contract.

As expected the Articles and show reviews came out with the GC show listed and we had some major clean up to do.

Needless to say that promoter never put on another show and we learnt to get everything in writting!

Funny thing is that I was in New Orleans a few weeks before the scheduled show and got to see GC down there. I talked to some of the band memebers and they were really bummed that they weren't going to be playing Boston on that tour 'cause of this guys screw up (although not as bummed as I was).
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Not sure if I ever mentioned this here, but back a bunch of years ago when Dee Dee quit the Ramones, I was hanging around once in a while with Markie who asked if I knew any bass players interested. I was a guitar player at the time, but quickly ran to rent a black P-bass. I played with them, and then they auditioned a crapload of other guys. Mark had me learning a bunch of their stuff, telling me every few days (while they were auditioning the others) that I was their top consideration - right up to the point when another friend called me to tell me to turn on my TV because the Ramones were playing on the Jerry Lewis telethon, and I wasn't the guy playing bass. I was completely shattered for quite a while. Mark and I don't talk anymore, but it's not due to that whole thing - had to do with him possibly producing The Nerve's 2nd CD - which we're very happy we chose not to do.

Looking back on it all, I'm glad it never happened. Ya know what, I'm a big fat liar. I do believe however that it was all for the best - I AM presently a very happy dude, and who knows what might have been in my path had I gotten the gig. They weren't the sanest, nicest, nor soberest of individuals.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If I had a dollar for every so-called big opportunity that I was going to get that didn't work out, I'd have $8. But I don't care. I knew the music business was a big cesspool of BS going into it and if I stuck to my guns and kept at it I'd find a way to make it work out. And I did.