Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Master Volume????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by candlesandt, Jul 7, 2005.

1. candlesandt

candlesandt

Jun 23, 2005
    Hi, I have read about the fender bassman that you're better off having one without the master vol. Can anyone tell me why that is?

2. candlesandt

candlesandt

Jun 23, 2005
    I am talking about the one from the 70's...

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

OK, first realize that we're usually talking about using this amp for guitar, right? The non-MV fenders send a little more signal to the power stage, even if the master's all the way up on the MV model. Power amp distortion being the goal, the master volume is working against you. Some guys will even tell you that the extra wiring to/from the MV makes a difference, and actually, it does. Wire dress is one of those voodoo things that makes Fenders so much fun to work on. It's very simple for a tech to remove the MV circuitry, so next you're into the Silverface vs. Blackface thing.

I've been modifying Fenders since the Silverface days, and personally I'd rather start with a MV model, since the Vintage Police won't hunt me down. :cool: