1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Max Dimoff vs. Hal Robinson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by POOPSMITH, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POOPSMITH

POOPSMITH Banned

Mar 26, 2007
    Scranton PA
    What do you guys feel are the main differences between Max and Hal? They are both totally re-donk but play in completely different styles. I'm especially interested in what davidzgeorge has to say about this.

2. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    re-donk?

3. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Sounds like you want them to have a dual.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    redonk=redonkulous=ridiculous

5. Sir-NOSE-alot

Sir-NOSE-alot Banned

Feb 18, 2008
    double bassist
    SIGN ME UP FOR THAT DUEL lol.

Honestly Hal Robinson is from Texas, and some of the best bassists in the world are from Texas. Honestly I am not a fan of the Russian school of double bass playing, so I think I would have to say HAL is better.

pz,
    Randy.

6. POOPSMITH

POOPSMITH Banned

Mar 26, 2007
    Scranton PA
    I could not agree less, Mr. Alot. The Russian school allows for maximum resonance, especially in the middle register. Just listen to any Levinson recording. He sounds just like Max.

7. Sir-NOSE-alot

Sir-NOSE-alot Banned

Feb 18, 2008
    double bassist
    Two things:

1) you could agree less. you could argue that Hal is not from Texas, in which case you would be wrong. ;)

2) I agree about the resonance thing. I just think Russians don't ever dig in to the bass, that's all. As a BASS player, I want the LO end to be in your face loud, not to have a frilly little *resonant* mid-range IMHO~

Of course he does have a pretty good job...................:oops: lol.

8. ARTSchitect

ARTSchitect Banned

Feb 19, 2008
    Dimoff's Russian style has been watered down by the "fluffy" sound of the Cleveland Orchestra. Robinson has a wicked spic*

9. POOPSMITH

POOPSMITH Banned

Mar 26, 2007
    Scranton PA
    What about Max vs. Chester? or Hal vs. Chester?
    :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

10. CurlyFries

CurlyFries Banned

Oct 26, 2006
    All of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Trying to nit pick between Hal Robinson and Max Dimoff. Who would win in a bass-off?! How could we be so ignorant as to stray from the real questions that effect us as bass players, and as human beings everyday. Arguing over Hal and Max may be entertaining but it is a waste of our time. Well here and now the nonsense stops! We face troubling times in this world of ours, and I for one will not stop asking the important questions which our fate depends upon. Namely: If Eugene Levinson and Francois Rabbath went into a cabin in the woods with only a large quantity of ganga, kittens and ataris games, who would be the first to eat a kitten; and second (2nd):what would the outcome say about Russia and France's current stance on the global economy? :atoz::atoz:

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Please don't troll the forums, fellas. We're done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.