Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maximum Gut Bust

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Apr 10, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Ok, so here's what I have
    Mike Dirnt P-Bass
    Avalon U5

I'm looking for a truly simple, gut busting rig. nice and clean, but will bassically level buildings.

to me there is only one selection for bass cabs. Schroeder.

Now I haven't read through the ENTIRE schroeder thread (c'mon 79 pages?) But I think 12s are the way to go.

this thread is two fold, I'd like to be pointed in the right direction for power amps (I think a used crest or a used crown will be my best bet but Carvin owners please chime in about the DCM1500), I'm looking for a power amp that has the ability to set the input sensitivity. Weight isn't a concern, but I'd like to keep it in the sub $500 range. ( I think 1500watts at 4ohms is PLENTY of wattage for adequate headroom- I'm looking for superior lowend definiton and punch)

I have thought about stringing the Dirnt - BEAD. I'm in a heavy power trio. I thought I wanted a dirty sound but in a mix that is already chock full of distorted noisy guitar, raspy vocals, and a SUPER heavy hitting drummer (26" kick anyone?) I think clean power is the way to go, and the schroeder's are touted as being a devastating loud cab for the size (perfect for me) with a low mid punch.

As far as effects - the EHX black finger is it. Real meat and potatoes bass into a compressor into a preamp/power amp into a cabinet (or two ;) )
    my style is mainly finger and pick, with moments of slapping. think Peter Hook meets Kim Deal meets Flea and Tim Commerford

I'd also like it nice and portable (I'll carry a rack that weighs 70lbs just as long as it's only 4 spaces - 2 already occupied by the U5)
    Should I get two 1212s (one now and one a little later)
    or one 21012 for now and get a 1212 later?

Now I do want to avoid the fog horn tendancies of a P-Bass so should I have 10s in there?

I play in NYC and the boroughs so mostly small places.

I want the natural eq of this rig to be tight, but I think my problems in the past have stemmed from lack of lowend headroom ( I currently us a GKrb400 15" combo with an ashdown Mag 15 in my rehearsal space and it is WAY too boomy and it farts, really bad gas :p )
    the idea of 2 1212s excites me because then I could put a cab on each side of the stage and have the tone be exact from left and right - I'm just worried that the 12s might be too boomy with a p-bass)

So there it is
    my prospective rig

P-bass
    EHX black finger
    U5
    poweramp
    Schroeder cabs (preferably 2 1212s but thinking about 21012 +212 and the new 310212)

I hope I haven't asked anything that has directly been addressed. I'm still sifting through the schroeder mega thread so please forgive any redundant information requests)

Thanks TBers

~Mike

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Either the Crest CA9 or Crown MacroTech MA-2402 seem to get the most rave reviews from their owners.

Also, I think that either a 21012 or 1210+1212 would cover what you need cab-wise. I'm partial to 10" drivers (I have a Schro 410), but I could probably live with a pair of 1210.

3. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Have you thought about the fact that all Schroeder cabs are 4 ohm? I'd say get the 21012 and a power amp capable of nice wattage into two channels in case you want to run 2 cabs somewhere down the line. I can't hang with a 4 space rack myself. Have to have a tuner and power conditioner.
    The avalon and the 21012 should make for an awesome rig. If that cab projects more than my 1210 (which I am guessing it should) you will be amazed.

4. I love my Crown K1, not sure what they go for used tho. 1500W bridged @ 4ohms.

Randy