1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maybe a little too focused on the gear?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by redwingxix, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    So I was at a bluegrass festival last weekend and the second time Dustbowl Revival played I noticed on the first song that the bass player had switch from a Fender Jazz V that he was playing the day before to an Alembic. I thought hmmm, that's weird, maybe something happened to his Jazz or the Alembic was getting repaired yesterday and the Jazz was his backup? All sorts of scenarios went through my head as to why he would switch basses. After the third song I realized that it was a completely different bass player. As in, the Jazz guy was a medium height, 30's age white guy and the Alembic player was a somewhat tall, 20's age black guy. My wife thought I was an idiot for being so clueless. Ah, good times.

Gearhead17, Beej, TheReceder and 15 others like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! We're bass dorks. Whataya gonna do?

My wife and I attended a Vince Gill concert a while back. I love all kinds of music. Vince Gill is a rare talent. My wife is more of a country music fan than I am and a huge Vince fan.

When the curtain opened at the beginning of the show I said "Holy crap!" Mrs.Fingers said "I know, right? Vince!"

I said "Forget Vince! That's Willie Weeks on bass!!!!"

She punched me in the arm.

Sometimes we go to a concert and halfway through the first song she'll say "OK, go ahead and tell me all about the bass player and his gear so we can get it out of the way."
    :D

Then she does a fantastic job of pretending to give a crap. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I didn't even realize RUSH had two other members, besides Geddy, until a few years ago...

... really enhances the experience, when you see the big picture.

pcake, MCF, Bobro and 8 others like this.
  4. That’s funny. I do that to. Inventory the gear on stage before it even registers what song is playing. I was listing to a video yesterday with Brian Nutter from Nutter guitars talking about his time with Keith Urban. The band decided that while they obsess over tone the audience cares more that Keith switched to Levis from Bad Religion jeans then what guitar any of them are playing.

5. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    You're good. Paying attention is just a tool of the trade.

6. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Bluegrass music? Fender Jazz V? Alembic? Yeah, I think I would have been too focused on gear too.

Isn't this the scenario for a Bluegrass bassist?

[​IMG]

dirkdabass, bobyoung53 and Mr_Moo like this.
  7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I never thought of that! Instead of changing basses, I'll get three or four bass players in the wings, ready to replace me.

pcake, Bobro, McG and 4 others like this.
  8. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Mostly non traditional bluegrass bands like Greensky Bluegrass, Lil' smokies, Infamous String Dusters, so there were some non upright basses in the mix. Dustbowl Revival had electric bass, keys, drums, and trombone and trumpet going.

bassdude51 likes this.
  9. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    This reminds me of a story my dad told me when I was about eight years old (just old enough to get the joke.)

The story went that two brothers were each given a horse as a gift. But they could never tell whose horse was whose. The elder brother decided to make an executive decision, and roached the mane of his horse, so that they could tell the difference. But, a week later, the other horse got tangled in a fence, and they had to cut his mane to free him...so they were back to where they started.

So the elder brother decided to be even more radical, and bob the tail of his horse. But, as luck would have it, a few days later, the other horse got tangled again, and they had to bob his tail to free him.

The brothers thought things over, and decided to measure the horses. Sure enough; it turned out that the black horse was almost a full inch taller than the white horse!

viper4000, Troy Eggen, pcake and 11 others like this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I design pro audio gear for a living. When I go to a concert, I walk up the the stage beforehand, have a look at the gear they're using (Hey, one of my creations is over there....) and then I go back and (hopefully) enjoy the music.

11. zon5string

zon5string Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    viper4000, oZZma, Spyrosaab and 17 others like this.
  12. You got it! I remember people by instruments, cars or motorcycles.

dirkdabass, Spidey2112 and McG like this.
  13. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Exactly the same here :D

Another thing that makes her roll her eyes is when I pause concerts on tv to check out the gear, along with, of course, describing everything in detail. :laugh:

14. Basscliff.jpg Not sure who this guy is but he has a sweet vintage Fender!
    Goes to eleven.jpg

redwingxix, Bobro, Wisebass and 2 others like this.
  15. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Whaaaaat?

Can someone sell me a VHS player?

Need to watch those live videos again! :laugh:

greetings

Wise

Bobro and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Wise, you can borrow mine... I'll take the lamp, as collateral...

... you know which one I'm talking about.

Wisebass likes this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    My drummer buddy refers to Geddy as "that guy who plays with Neil Peart".

G19Tony, Spidey2112 and redwingxix like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Of course he does. :D

19. Electric bass at a BG festival? SACRILEGE!

20. I don’t know who the bass player is, but that’s former Bluegrass Boy Peter Rowan on guitar.

bassdude51 and McG like this.