1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maybe we should just do away with pop stars...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TallLankyBastyd, Sep 16, 2008.

1. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
  2. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I woke up to a replay of this on the radio. NOT PLEASANT.

They f'n boo'ed her.

3. That was dreadful!!

4. Do they want some crackers for thier cockatiel?

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Ahahaha, that was very, very bad.

Damn!

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Where's Melodyne when you need it?

7. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    Heh, America died a little after that.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh god... Uncle Sam should give her a swift kick in the ass.

9. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Visual clues would lead me to think Uncle Sam is more inclined to poking.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Good... Good.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yes! Thank you for that one, what an antidote for the Idol wannabe version.

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    it kind of reminds me of this classic:

13. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I wonder if Jimi Hendrix performed his version of the Star Spangled Banner at a Monday Night Football game instead of Woodstock, if he would have gotten the same amount of boos.

There's some similarities:
    - Both are not true to the original
    - Both had an overabundance of embellishments
    - Both were out of pitch at times

Plus, Jimi's rendition had some political statements going on during a time America was at war.

One is considered one of the worst performances in history, while the other is considered one of the greatest guitar solos of all time.

14. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    Did the notes on Hendrix's guitar crack every time he picked a little harder the way her voice did every time she raised her volume a little?

Is it easier to hear when a note on a heavily effected guitar is out of pitch, or is it easier to hear when a singer's lone, cracking voice is out of pitch?

Did it seem like Hendrix was exceeding his musical abilities the way this terrible rendition of a song that's already difficult to sing did, or did it seem like he had a handle on everything he tried to do in his version? This, to me, is the musical difference between Hendrix's version and this one.

I'm not a fan of the way anyone performs our national anthem, whether it's sung, or Dave Mustaine's guitar version, or whatever. But "singers" like this one seem to have zero regard for what the song is, and appear to be solely concerned with the embellishments rather than the melody or feeling- and it usually ends up sounding like a cat howling because you stepped on its tail.

(Yes, Hendrix also performed his version at a time and in an environment that was more receptive to what he did.)

Her rendition reminds me more of Carl Lewis' glorious butchering:

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
  16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Who is she? I didn't recognize the name.

17. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yes, they did. It's called distortion. The amp and speakers were overdriven and they broke up.

Yes, I can hear it. It's a bend resulting in a semitone that is out of pitch. It works when he does it, but it's out of pitch none-the-less. Watch the video, and you can see him tuning while playing the song.

I believe he was pushing the envelope at the time. He was pushing his abilities, and milking his guitar for all that he could. His style of playing may seem common today, but at the time it was well ahead of it's time.

Do you think Hendrix had total regard for the "purity" of the national anthem? I don't. The embellishments to the anthem are longer in time than the actual melody and are not in keeping with the musical theme of the song. Some of it even seems random, in a cool sort of way. Also, Jimi got plenty of criticism for the unorthodox way he performed the anthem, even during that time.

18. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I'd totaly be into the idea of someone dressed as Uncle Sam interupting bad performances of the national anthem by running out on to the field, pelting any and all guilty parties with rotten eggs.