Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MB150 Mic Stand

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TroyK, Dec 16, 2005.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Anyone ever used these? Are they stable, does the amp sound good suspended in mid air like that?

I played a gig yesterday and had the opportunity to set the amp on a table about chest high. Everytime I do this it sounds better or at least, we all hear it better. I play more in tune and dont' find myself fighting my sound nearly as much.

So much so, that I want to insure that I am able to always to that wherever I play. The rub is, I have the uber portable amp and I don't want to have to carry a table or a stool around to make it work for me.

Wondering if these mic stand thingies work O.K..

-tk

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I have a couple of small amp stand, one of which would fit the G&K combo well:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/450568/
    (That's at MF, but I bought mine locally). I find just elevating the amp a bit and pointing it at my head does wonders. I'd be a little apprehensive about mounting a G&K combo on a mike stand unless it was a big stand with a WIDE base.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I know. It seems like it would be very topheavy on a mic stand and I wonder about the sound with nothing underneath it.

Your little stand looks like it would still be portable in with one trip from the car. Thanks for the link.

Troy

4. I have a GK150 and a matching speaker. I bought one of the mic-stand-adapter kits, and tried the amp on a regular mic-stand… …BAD BAD thing to do - very unstable and teetering. The ext. speaker was slightly better, but was still unsteady.

As mje says, you need something with a wide base - industrial strength, if possible.

I found the best solution to get them off the ground is to use a milk-crate (or 2 or 3 if you need height), or a small tiltback amp-stand (model BS313 from Sweetwater).

- Wil