Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

McCartney's Psychedelic Ric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bovinehost, Jan 23, 2005.

1. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Does anyone have any hi-res photos of Paul's Rickenbacker?

2. Yeah, but I think he had it painted all psychedelic and stuff for a while, like George did with his Strat. He later had that finish removed to a natural kind of color. But for a while, that Ric was all weirdly painted.

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    [​IMG] not very hi-res though.

He stripped it to natural later, I heard it was a pretty shoddy job.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's a well-done copy, and mine. I substituted teal for silver just to be different.

5. Yeah, I have pic of it in the Bass Book (Tony Bacon)...looks like they sanded the peak off the upper horn too.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
  7. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I recently had a conversation with a friend of mine who was a friend of George Harrison. He has a considerable amount of knowledge in regards to Beatles tech stuff. I asked him why Paul shot the "Paperback Writer" video using the Hofner 500/1 ,when he had used the Rick to record it. He said from what he knew, Paul felt that that's what people were usede to seeing him play with the Beatles.
    He told me Paul used the Rick on the entire "Revolver" album and did in fact play both bass and and lead guitar on George's "Taxman".
    He also told me there are some alternate versions of that album with different bass mixes. I was hoping to ask him more details on recording the Rick because he is friends with Geoff Emerick.
    The Rickenbacker bass is incredible(imo) -he may have or know where to get some clear photos-i'll check

8. What I don't get is why someone would want to copy such a hideous paint job as that. McCartney, himself, didn't even bother keeping the look.

Do you mean to tell me that if Victor Wooten got sick during a performance and vomited all over his axe, people would be trying to duplicate the look?

I remember an MTV Music Awards (somewhere around '93/'94) when Chris Novaselic of Nirvana grabbed his bass by the neck and smashed it onto the stage in the style of John Entwistle, in an attempt to smash it to bits. Only, the bass didn't break. Rather it bounced from the stage and wacked Mr. Novaselic right in the NOGGIN! Do you mean to tell me that there are people out there that are actually COPYING that act, as well ??? :eek:

AMAZING!

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
  10. Good job finding that...........Now lets see if any of you can find a pic of Chris Squires Ric when he had it covered in wall paper!

11. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Pilbarabass, you may be remembering it incorrectly, he threw it up in the air, and instead of catching it, when it came down, it hit him in the head.

I think custom paint jobs on guitar are great.

12. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA

Ummm, maybe he just liked the way the bass looked himself and decided to do it? :ninja:

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Then don't do it.

14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Several hours of intensive research (looking at the pictures on Beatles albums) reveal no photos of the elusive psychedelic bass.

15. Tribute band?

16. I hear Paul will be playing at this Super Bowl...That'll be cool. I wonder what he'll be sporting then - after hearing all this, I'll definitely be looking to see.

Doesn't he have a new band now?

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I thought I remembered a weirded-out Ric on Magical Mystery Tour. :confused:

This one doesn't look like what I remember.