Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

McCartney's tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jongor, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I've been logging quite a bit of time with the Beatles lately and have once again discovered what a wonderful tone Paul got on their later stuff.

Songs like:
    Don't Bring Me Down
    Something
    Penny Lane

You know the tone.

Is it possible to get anywhere near that tone with a 4003, or does it have to be a 4001? Do the newer 4003's have the mutes?

He obviously used flatwounds, were they Rotosound tapewounds?

2. i think getting f wounds would definately get you closer to sir paul's sound. good luck.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    He used Pyramids on the Hofner and Rick, and Fenders on the Jazz Bass (some White Album and Abbey Road tracks). The mutes aren't that important - the flats and pick are.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have a 4003, and with an old set of TI flats, it gets very close to the Macca sound.

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I play in a Beatles trib band and use a 4001SLH on the songs you listed. Flats for sure. Compression too. And yes, you can get that sound from a new 4003, and they still have mutes.
    [​IMG]

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I was looking at this pic of Paul & noticed that he was set on just the bridge pickup -

[​IMG]

After pondering inability of my 4001 to produce anything remotely usable on a track set this way, I proceeded to do the cap bypass and string it up with flats. Wow. A world of difference. I'm gonna try it on a session tonight.

7. Hey iamthebassman,

I spent some time on your band's site. Very cool. What amplifier(s) do you use live to approximate McCartney's sound?

Thanks,
    Seth

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow I've seen this pic of your painted Rick a bunch of times and this is the first time I ever noticed it's strung right handed. Gerald V Casale style! Cool!

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Seth, for the past 5 years or so I've been using a Roland DB700 bass combo. it's the size of a '60s Vox Foundation bass cab, and I've put Vox grill cloth and Vox namepate on it so it looks the part.
    It has a 15" and tweeter, 250 watts, nice compressor, and COSM modelling for a nice tube amp sound. The coolest feature: it has two presets you can save your settings to. I have one set for the Hofner bass, and the other for the Ric.

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Yep, I learned on a "borrowed" Fender Jazz played upside-down, so by the time I got my own bass I was used to playing that way.
    Funny, I got to meet Gerry around 1980/81 when Devo played the Armadillo here in Austin.

11. That's great. I read somewhere that the Fab Faux disguises their amps in a similar fashion.