1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Meatball vs Micro-tron III?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by timmerel, Nov 24, 2017.

1. timmerel

timmerel

Jan 10, 2007
    Which do you prefer, how do you use them differently, and what are your favorite settings on each?

2. Patience, dear. I cannot but certainly others have. Imho it you have access to either for purchase at a reasonable price to for it.

3. timmerel

timmerel

Jan 10, 2007
    So anyone who has actually tried both?

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    It might be tough to find someone who has tried both right now - the Microtron has only been out a few months and only one or two batches have been sold, so it's hard to find, while the Meatball hasn't been in production for some 20 years, so it's *also* hard to find. But I know there are a couple filter-heads around that probably have tried them. Me, I had a Meatball so long ago I can't even remember the sound, but I also played guitar primarily back then.

5. timmerel

timmerel

Jan 10, 2007
    Bueller?

6. Pay...

7. Are you considering a purchase of one or the other?

8. timmerel

timmerel

Jan 10, 2007
    ?

9. ...shunts.

subscribed

alecduncan and Jonny5bass like this.
  10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Two very different filters.

The Meatball is hugely tweakable and offers a ton of options but can be a bit difficult to dial in.

The Microtron has three knobs and two switches but really isn't versatile and doesn't have a huge range of tones. That said, it's sweep is dialed in very well IMO and it sounds great.

In terms of the actual filter tone the two are more similar than different. Both have an inherently clean and smooth sound.

The closest thing to the Meatball today is the Wonderlove which began as a stripped down and simplifed/less extreme Meatball but has been continually evolved.

Jakeman and Matt Dean like this.
  11. timmerel

timmerel

Jan 10, 2007
    That’s helpful - do you have a preference purely in terms of tone? I’ve read that some folks prefer the one tone of the Mutron to any of the variety from the Meatball.

12. I’ll counter and say the wonderlove sounds nothing like a Meatball. The first version, the Groove Regulator, and the GR2 are fairly similar Though. There isn’t really anything that has the versatility and sound of the Meatball today. There are a lot of good filters out there for sure though. The micro tron is one of them. My favorite filter on the market is the Broughton Josh Wah.

alecduncan likes this.
  13. timmerel

timmerel

Jan 10, 2007
    Thanks for the additional information on other pedals, but comparison between the original Meatball and Microtron is all that I'm interested in for this thread please.

14. My response was in regards to the comparison? I’ve owned the Meatball a few times. It’s a great pedal. But I dont want you to think the Wonderlove is a good replacement for the Meatball. I’ll duck out of this thread now. Good luck finding someone who has owned both and would be willing to break it down for you.

alecduncan likes this.
  15. timmerel

timmerel

Jan 10, 2007
    Again thanks, but it’s really just those two specific pedals I’m interested in folks’ experience with :)

16. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The Micro-Tron III isn't a Mu-Tron. Swapping the jumper (giving the "Mu-Tron preamp") gets it closer but it isn't the same.

I like the tone of the Micro-Tron and the Meatball so it would come down to usage and also cost and size if those are considerations.

For live use I'd take the Micro-Tron. Just so much easier to dial in and use. For studio use where you have time to fiddle and the nuances are more apparent I'd possibly lean Meatball.

17. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The GR and GR2 (my favorite iteration) sounds (to me) like a Meatball with a smaller sweep range and less possible resonance. The Wonderlove isn't too far from the GR2 though to my ears it sounds "peakier"

alecduncan and willsellout like this.
  18. timmerel

timmerel

Jan 10, 2007
    That really helps, so thanks again.

What is the difference in tone/ repsponse between Mutron and Microtron in Mutron preamp mode?

19. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The Micro-Tron is still "cleaner" and the Mu-Tron "greasier"

20. timmerel

timmerel

Jan 10, 2007
    Cool, and thanks.